PDA

View Full Version : Help! STRONG metallic smell coming from rear-end

Ami
01-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Does anyone know why a Danes back-end would emit a very strong smell, I dont know how to describe it except it smells very metallic (like if you hold change in your hand for too long...). I dont know if this makes any sense.

It happened today after leaving the Vets office. Lily and I were driving along and all of a sudden there was this unbearable smell. I stopped at the next exit to see if there was something wrong with her. Nothing seemed to be wrong, there was no discharge or moisture anywhere. When we got home, I gave Lily a full check-over and I know that this smell was coming from her butt.

It must have been gas or something because the smell went away as soon as it arrived, but I have never smelt gas like THAT before. Can anyone please help out with a suggestion???

Ami, Tuesday and Lily

Nicole34
01-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Probably needs his/her anal glands expressed

BryanAdcock
01-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Could it have been Vaginitis of some sort?

Ami
01-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Thank you!!! I thought of that, but didnt know what it smelled like and didnt think it could be THAT horrible smelling (I guess we were in an enclosed place, but STILL!).

I was hoping and praying for that to be the answer. Lily has her spay and gastopexi surgery on Wednesday morning and I REALLY dont want to put it off again (it would be the 3rd time).

Does anyone know of anything else that would smell like that? The anal gland thing shouldnt postpone the surgery, should it?

Ami

Ami
01-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Oh no! Vaginitis is what I was scared of, since I know this Vet wont do the surgery with this present.

I am pretty sure, however, that the smell is coming from her rectum and not her genitals. I only smelled that smell when I lifted her tail all the way up.

Help!
Ami

Sharky
01-06-2003, 10:48 PM
>I am pretty sure, however, that the smell is coming from her
>rectum and not her genitals. I only smelled that smell when
>I lifted her tail all the way up.

Ami, I hope I don't offend you but I laughed my ass off at that visual....oh, the things we will do for our puppies!!!!
:P

Ami
01-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Its Ok! I was REALLY trying to word that right! (it took me about 10 minutes!!).

You are correct! I was right there on the floor, with Lily on her belly, thinking to myself; this smells normal...this smells normal...OOOHHHFFF!! THATS THE SPOT!!!

Just thinking about how this would sound to someone who just stumbled across this site has me LMAO!! I am so immune to all the 'gross' doggy things by now, but it IS pretty funny! :7

I would still like some more serious suggestions, although the humor is ALWAYS welcome (if ya dont laugh, ya cry. Right?)

Ami

mford512
01-06-2003, 11:48 PM
Sounds like anal glands to me also. I wouldn't be too worried. Just keep your eyes (and nose) open for the next few days. If you start to see/smell it on a reg basis then you may want to have the vet check her over as the glands can get impacted.

I don't see why it would mess with her scheduled surgery at all. :)

=Michelle& The Boys=

Ami
01-07-2003, 12:30 AM
Thanks Michelle,

I will hope for the best. Lily has not 'been smelly' since the original inspection, so I am really hoping it is nothing.

Has anyone else experienced a metallic smell when the glands need to be expressed?

Ami

Ami
01-07-2003, 01:20 AM
EDIT from my post #6...

I didnt know that I only had 60 mins to edit a post!

What I meant in post #6 was that Lily had her belly UP, which is her favorite way to sleep, all four legs standing straight up!

Not that this matters at all.....I just tried to change it and I couldnt, nothing very important!

Ami

Sharky
01-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Sorry Ami, I just realized I would probably do the EXACT same thing if I was worried about either of my babies. Again, oh the things we do for our animals....and children.....and husbands.....etc.....:P

Good luck with Lily, sorry I didn't have anything more constructive! :)

mp
01-07-2003, 10:42 AM
No, I've noticed the smell when the glands express themselves. When they are starting to get impacted, you may notice the dog scooting his bottom on grass or carpet.

Sometimes the glands express themselves when the dog feels he is in a physically or emotionally stressful circumstance.

The smell is also described as a fishy odor. It differs from dog to dog. My first Dane had a fishy odor; this one has a metallic odor.

My vet voiced the opinion that dogs who are taken to the vet every month to have their glands express can loose the ability to do it naturally.

mp

mford512
01-07-2003, 11:15 AM
>
>
>My vet voiced the opinion that dogs who are taken to the vet
>every month to have their glands express can loose the
>ability to do it naturally.
>
>mp

Yep, same here. My previous vets, as well as the ones I work for now share the same opinion. They only like to express the glands on dogs that have a history of problems/infections.

=Michelle& The Boys=

anne
01-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Hey Ami, LOL you are funny- I'm pretty sure Lily just had a panicked moment and released some anal juice from her glands. Icky, but nothing to worry about!

Dr. Skinner could've immediately diagnosed vaginitis if Lily had it. It really doesn't usually produce an odor anyway, it is apparent from an examination. If he checked her out, I'm sure she's just fine.

How did it go? Did he discuss his gastro method with you, and does it sound okay with you? I'm interested in details... :)

On an unrelated note, Emma had to go to the E-vet Sunday, her lumps were suddenly ALL over her body!! :'( After 90mg prednisone & 90mg benadryl via injection, she's on 100mg oral benadryl every 8 hours now. She sees her vet tonight for x-rays and a followup re. the hives & unknown allergic reaction. I'll keep you posted~

Jaime
01-07-2003, 12:47 PM
My vote would also be anal glands. Bomber's would get full and she NEVER scooted her bottom. The smell was metallic & fishy combined. REALLY BAD. Once you smell it, you'll be able to recognize that smell anywhere for the rest of your life. We were at the vets about 2 weeks ago, and there was a Bichon? in there, and I smelled it, and said whew...anal glands...the lady thought I was nuts, I told her I know that smell because my dog had it.

Eileen
01-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Poor little thing! Oops. Not so little anymore, huh? I'll be interested to hear what the xrays show or don't show.

Ami
01-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Thank you everyone. I called my vet today and He said that it sounded like the anal glands as well. He tried to tell me how to express them, but I think I will leave that one up to the professionals (just a little too yucky!). I will just add that to the list of things that will go along with Lilys spay/gasto/microchip ;-)

Anne, OMG! you must have been freaking out! I am so sorry to hear that. I hope Emma is doing better. Did your Vet still think it was a spider bite? Keep me updated on this, call anytime.

Also, Dr. Skinner is great, thanks! Tomorrow is Lilys big day! I am SO nervous (see post on this) :'(

Ami, Tuesday and Lily

Ami
01-07-2003, 10:20 PM
I agree Jaime! I wont forget THAT smell! I wonder why none of my other dogs have ever gotten this?

Ami