PDA

View Full Version : Cancer in Leg

Megawisdumb
02-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Our 6 year old Dane (Annie Girl) was diagnosed today with osteosarcoma in her left front leg. I had posted some pictures on this site (#30275) back in January trying to figure out what the swelling was about. The vet wants to amputate but I do not believe she has the power in the hind legs to support her for any length of time. She is presently very active even though the knot on her leg is about the size of a baseball. We live on a farm and yesterday she was running around the pasture with my two boys and playing with the horses. Iím having a tough time even thinking about removing the leg given her present state and the impact upon what might be her final months. She bloated for the first time last June and has not had the same energy level since that surgery. If I could get a written contract stating that taking the leg would buy her more than a few weeks time I would do it now but short of that I feel I may be putting her through more pain just so I can spend more time with her. I would be very interested in any outcomes of cancer amputees.

Phil in Montevallo

witzn
02-09-2005, 05:19 PM
there are quite a few stories of dogs doing well on 3 legs.

Unfortunately it rarely increases the time they will have, BUT the main
reason for putting Osteo dogs is related to pain - and the tumor is what
causes the pain.

I had a bitch with Osteo and she was not a candidate for surgery, I
greatly regret not being able to remove her leg.

You have to decide what is best for you and your dog, if the cancer
is likely to have already spread, if you can deal with the after care
(although most stories say the dogs recover rapidly).

Check this site, there was a thread here that included a picture of
a bitch that had her front leg removed.

Good luck
Sandy

http://homepage.mac.com/witzn/

Tracytj
02-09-2005, 05:24 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your girl.

That's a tough choice, amputation. Has the cancer spread? I've read a lot of success stories of tripod dogs, but I have to say only in the smaller breeds. I've never heard a dane that came out of a front leg amputation to live very long. (Rear leg amp is easier on a dog.)

My Justice is eight and if he developed bone cancer, I don't think I'd amputate. He has a bad back with arthritis in the spine and that front hopping would be very hard on him. If your dane is having problems with her rear already, the extra stress might be too much. The anesthetic is hard on the giant breeds, too.

Good luck--maybe someone else can give more encouragement. :(

Tracy

Devil Dog
02-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Phil...

IF the Cancer hasn't spread....a front leg amputation can be successfuly done with a dog the size of a Dane.

Years ago there was a famous Champion Brindle dog who had his front leg removed....and lived for years after. In fact he was used for stud and preformed "naturally" in his breedings, after the amputation.
The owners....to prove that an amputation can be done on a dog the size of a Dane, showed him in a stud dog class at a dog show.

The decision is yours and I wish you luck in whatever your decision is.

Dee

Frankies Mom
02-10-2005, 04:54 AM
I am so sorry to hear about the diagnosis for Annie. Cancer is such a hideous disease. I lost my Frankie last November to osteosarcoma. He had it in his front right let. He was just six when he died. I chose not to amputate because he was very wobbly on four legs due to the medication he was on for epileptic seizures. He lived eight months after his diagnosis and all but the last few weeks were quality time (although he was on pain meds) I still miss him every day. My heart goes out to you and your family. Whatever decision you make about amputation will be the best one possible. I believe we have the power to know in these cases. Good luck. Jane

SKYLARDANES
02-10-2005, 06:41 AM
Phil,
Again I am sorry to hear about the diagnosis but do not give up on your girl just yet! Please keep us updated! Whatever decision you decide to make we will be here to talk about it!!!
Tanya

Carolyn
02-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Osteosarcoma is a very fast spreading type of cancer and there is only a limited amount of time in which amputation is even an option. Many danes have done fine on three legs.
I am so sorry to hear of this, but if you are considering amputation, you need to act swiftly.
Best of luck,
Carolyn
Divine Acres Great Danes