PDA

View Full Version : AKC PAPERS -Should take HOW LONG?

Tanner
06-30-2003, 04:23 PM
I purchased Ashwell from a breeder who said she is AKC. I recieved from her on the sale of Ashwell a Sellers agreement which states that AKC PAPERS are to follow.

Does anyone have any idea how long it should take for me to recieve Ashwell's papers? I purchased Ashwell in February 5th 2003, to date (June 30th 2003) I have not recieved any paperwork some nearly 5 months later!!

Advice from anyone re: this matter would greatly be appreciated!!

Ashwell's Mom
and a paperless Ashwell ;-)

Lucy
06-30-2003, 04:33 PM
You should have received the application for registration at the time you purchased your puppy.. Did your breeder give you an explanation as to why she did not have the puppy application at that time?

I would say you should have received the app. by now, unless there is a problem and then in that case the breeder should explain...Lucy

alicat613
06-30-2003, 04:49 PM
>I purchased Ashwell from a breeder who said she is AKC.

Does that mean all you have is her word on it?
She didn't show you papers, show stuff, pedigrees etc?
You don't know if she shows or not?

I think I had our papers (Canadian though) before I even got my puppy. If not it was pretty soon after. My breeder sent us the paperwork early on, we sent it back to her, then we got the papers, all in a few weeks I think.

CodysMom
06-30-2003, 05:02 PM
My aunt and I got our danes with in months of each other. She recieved her papers right away and mine took 8 months to get. My breeder told me that he was having problems with AKC or something! I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take but mine took a long time!

Melissa

Aggie
06-30-2003, 05:09 PM
My busy and absent minded breeder is very slow to get papers to the companion buyers. I didn't like that, but all things being equal and with a good healthy beautiful puppy, its not like I was going to do anything with them anyhow. He did give my champ pics of the sire and dam and the pedigree ahead of time, but I had to stay on his case to get the papers.

mp
06-30-2003, 05:52 PM
I got my form when I picked up my puppy. The breeder had already filled in her kennel name so it would appear as part of my puppy's registered name and all I had to do was fill in the rest of the form and send it in. You really need to get on the breeder. Did she give you a pedigree for your puppy or the pup's sire and dam? And no, she should not charge you extra for the papers. mp

kahluadanes
06-30-2003, 07:13 PM
AKC changed their system and there was a big delay in getting litter registrations as well as other paperwork, however according to their site all of the backlog has been taken care of and they are now on track. With that said when you buy from a breeder you should always see the registration, pedigree, heath tests, show records, medical records of the parents. Also if the registration paper for the pup isn't available yet for whatever reason, the seller must furnish you with a paper that states the puppy/dogs DOB,color, sex,reg.name and number of both parents, name, address and phone number of breeder and aslo must state that registration application will be sent as soon as available. I would contact the breeder to find out what the hold up is and when they expect them then I'ld also contact AKC to see if indeed the paperwork was sent in and if so when.

Dale

trueblue
07-01-2003, 12:27 AM
I understand how you feel. I have the same problem. Our pup was born in November and we still have not received her papers. I understood at first because of the backlog at AKC, but the breeder told us almost 2 months ago that she had our papers and that she would send them out the next day. I have been told 3 or 4 times now that she would send them the next day, the last time was on Friday and I hope that they show up sometime this week. ;-)

Zoeys Mom
07-01-2003, 09:28 AM
Hmm, I think some lying is being done here. I purchased Diesel from Canada. It did take some time to get his papers from the CKC. After that I sent in his foreign registration to the AKC and was told they were back logged, but it only took one month to register him. A foreign dog none the less! Can't imagine that you're breeder is still trying to register a litter born in November (in the US!), when it only took us one month to register Diesel.

ALNedimyer
07-01-2003, 01:13 PM
"I got my form when I picked up my puppy. The breeder had already filled in her kennel name so it would appear as part of my puppy's registered name and all I had to do was fill in the rest of the form and send it in." -mp

SAME HERE. After that, it took only @ 2-3 weeks (if that) to receive the packet.
edited to say:
FYI- my puppy was born in Nov. '02 and I picked her up Jan. 24th, 2003. I sent the papers in @ a week after- and it still only to 2-3 weeks to get the packet.

Carolyn
07-01-2003, 01:57 PM
I sent in my registrations papers for the litter I have now when the puppies were 2 weeks old. I just got them today and the puppies are now 5 weeks old.
So to answer your questions. It takes 3 weeks!
IMO, an ethical/responsible breeder SHOULD have registration papers of the puppies when the new owners come to pick them up!
Very little room for excuses.............
Carolyn
Divine Acres Great Danes

MiHi
07-01-2003, 03:18 PM
The CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) has never been known for being speedy, but they usually don't take a year to get papers to you, I believe the last litter I registered it took about a month for half the litter and another month for the date the I screwed up on (I'm dyslexic and wrote it backwards) to be corrected!!
The AKC has always gotten things to me in under 2 weeks, they have always impressed me with their promptness.
I would say if you are waiting for as long as you have been there is something amiss!

Tanner
07-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Thankyou for your posts. I have a Bill of Sale with both the Sire and Dam's name on it along with the shots Ashwell recieved and her birthdate, breed and sex.
The breeder wrote on the paper "AKC papers to follow", but thus far they haven't. If what you say about AKC being backlogged is true, it might be a viable reason.
Neithertheless I will make another call as it has already been 5 months. If no satifactory explanation is given what course of action might I take?

Tanner and a Paperless Ashwell!

Cujasky
07-02-2003, 11:09 AM
I would think you could possibly contact the AKC, give them the info you have on your dog, and find out if the litter has ever been registered. I don't know if they would disclose that info, but it's worth a shot. Also, for a minimal fee, you could have an attorney draft a letter to the breeder, requesting that the papers be forwarded to you within X amount of days. Don't know if would do any good, but it might help.

MiHi
07-02-2003, 01:20 PM
I would phone her and tell her that she has x-amount of days to get you the paperwork, if she does not comply then phone the AKC and report her. In the CKC she would be charged $250.00 for not producing papers, but then again Canada's Pedigree Act, may be much different from the US version.
Good Luck

Lucy
07-02-2003, 01:24 PM
>Thankyou for your posts. I have a Bill of Sale with both the
>Sire and Dam's name on it along with the shots Ashwell
>recieved and her birthdate, breed and sex.
>The breeder wrote on the paper "AKC papers to follow", but
>thus far they haven't. If what you say about AKC being
>backlogged is true, it might be a viable reason.
>Neithertheless I will make another call as it has already
>been 5 months. If no satifactory explanation is given what
>course of action might I take?
>
>Tanner and a Paperless Ashwell!

Hi Tanner,
This may seen like a drastic measure but, I knew of a person who couldn't get her promised AKC papers from her breeder. She took the breeder to small claims court for the purchase price of the dog in question, saying she paid for a registered Great Dane but with no registration certificate only received a
dog of unknown orgin.. She won in small claims and received the entire purchase price plus court cost's.. Taking the breeder to small claims may stimulate them to ack, get your papers to you(if available)...

Hope this is helps...Lucy

Jinxs Mom
07-02-2003, 01:26 PM
It took a little while for us to get our application.There was something going on at the AKC office, I believe it had to do with changing systems or something.Once the breeder received the application she mailed it to us & I think we had Jinx's papers within 6 weeks if that long. I was surprised at how fast we got the papers compared to the wait time on the app.I think it was slackness on the breeders end.I think most breeders send off for the apps. when the pups are born.

XcelDanes
07-02-2003, 02:21 PM
This was my fault I co own a mantle with breeder and i put papers she gave me her part filled in in my little file cabinet with all my records then i had out to mail and my teenage daughter thats the neat freak of the house lol accidently tossed in trash she didnt no and i didnt remember to take to mail box for several days by then the dumpster had already ran The breeder called akc gave credit card ect....weve waited months called back they lost the credit card number at akc and with new system dont except faxes at the time ect...neeedless to say 7 months later they are to be on the way.

Tanner
07-08-2003, 12:19 PM
>>Thankyou for your posts. I have a Bill of Sale with both the
>>Sire and Dam's name on it along with the shots Ashwell
>>recieved and her birthdate, breed and sex.
>>The breeder wrote on the paper "AKC papers to follow", but
>>thus far they haven't. If what you say about AKC being
>>backlogged is true, it might be a viable reason.
>>Neithertheless I will make another call as it has already
>>been 5 months. If no satifactory explanation is given what
>>course of action might I take?
>>
>>Tanner and a Paperless Ashwell!
>
>
>Hi Tanner,
> This may seen like a drastic measure but, I knew of
>a person who couldn't get her promised AKC papers from her
>breeder. She took the breeder to small claims court for the
>purchase price of the dog in question, saying she paid for a
>registered Great Dane but with no registration certificate
>only received a
>dog of unknown orgin.. She won in small claims and received
>the entire purchase price plus court cost's.. Taking the
>breeder to small claims may stimulate them to ack, get your
>papers to you(if available)...
>
>Hope this is helps...Lucy

Dear Lucy

Thankyou for your post. I have already contacted the AKC via email and recieved a confirmation email back saying they have recieved my request as to if this breeder is registered, still awaiting confirmation on that. But what you say is a good idea as I paid $1,600 for Ashwell who seems to be in excellent health. However, I do want her papers and I think I will call this breeder one last time and see what she has to say for herself, if not then I may just do what you have suggested.

Thankyou....Tanner & a paperless Ashwell