PDA

View Full Version : Elevated food dishes for Danes

Meepie
01-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Hello, I am a total newbie. My husband and I just got "Large" :* from the local Great Dane Rescue about a week before New Year's. He is about 10 months, 120 lbs, blue merle, and we are in love with him! If we had known Danes were so loving, we would have had them long ago!
We are concerned about getting an elevated food dish. I have read that for Danes, you may need as high as 26". That is hard to find and very expensive. We got a storage dish at PetSmart that was 12" with screw in food dish, and he figured out how to unscrew it right away! Seems that point on his head means he is extra smart! So I don't think that kind of dish will work. And he is forceful when he eats so that putting it on a chair ends up with it all over the floor unless closely attended.
Any advice?
Thanks!

justmekimberley
01-09-2005, 09:57 PM
My pup is only thirteen weeks. I haven't purchased an elevated bowl yet. I'm going to have my man make one out of wood, then we can dowel extentions on it as The Count gets bigger.

Congrats on your new baby! I recently got my first dane also, although I've wanted one my whole life.

Edited to congratulate because I have no manners.

sine123
01-09-2005, 10:02 PM
First of all, welcome to the many joys of being a Great Dane owner!

As for the elevated food dishes, you shouldn't need one as high as 26", 16-20" should do.

A very nice, great and inexpensive solution is to buy plant stands at Home Depot, Walmart etc. They work great.
You can also choose to buy or make a 'bench' out of wood which is what we have for Victor.
I'm sure you will get lots of excellent ideas since Great Dane owners seem to be rather innovative.

andipanda
01-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Outside, I use a "rubbermaid" type storage container (It's about 17" high) and I put his food and water dish on top of it. It washes easy, and the "lip" keeps the bowl from running away. I usually have a spare bag of kibble, or other stuff inside to weigh it down. Inside I have a plant stand that is about the same height. andi

doreend
01-10-2005, 05:36 AM
We use a childrens wooden bench that opens and has storage inside. Its about 17 inches off the ground. Hubby put a piece of wood across the front so the bowls would not slip off plus the bowls are stainless steel with a rubber strip around the bottom. We actually picked up the bench at a yard sale for next to nothing. We store his food in the bottom of the bench. Its worked great so far!!

Devil Dog
01-10-2005, 06:47 AM
Reply..

We use the plastic, small end tables from WalMart...garden section.

Cut a circle in the top...to fit the bowl.
Easy to clean.

Dee:9 :9

alicat613
01-10-2005, 08:21 AM
We use a $3 big rubbermaid bin from Target. Storage and a feeder all at one low low price! Easy to clean too. :-)

Donna
01-10-2005, 05:51 PM
We have the plastic expandable type. They have lasted for years and expand to at least 24". I think we bought them through UPCO. You can just keep pulling it up higher as the dog grows.

stertaz
01-12-2005, 06:57 AM
yes.. I use a plant stand also.. Got it at Walmart for like $6. Works perfect.

Eightdogs4me
01-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Congrats on the new dane! I don't think I can ever be without one now. They are truly wonderful dogs.

I use an elevated dish made for tall breeds of dogs, but only because it was given to me. If those aren't handy or I'm feeding Brutus outside, I use a chair, or a five gallon bucket, or whatever.

madcass
02-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Check out www.healthyheights.com Lots of Dane sized feeders, Prices aren't bad :)

Ness aka Rosie's Mom :)

rohb
02-18-2005, 12:16 AM
We used to elevate the food bowl but after reading studies about bloat (there's still a lot of controversy about this!!) we now just put the bowls on the ground. Our two danes seem quite happy and eat well.

Laylas_Mommy
02-18-2005, 07:47 AM
If you want a good solid elevated food bowl, and also want to donate to a dane rescue www.heartlandgdr.org out of central oklahoma has them for sale. They're very reasonable.

LAAAAAYYYYYLAAAA!!! Got me on my knees..

ruthie_a
02-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Hello All!

I am a new owner of a dane also! She is 11 weeks old today and she is blue merle. We absolutely adore her. My question here is SHOULD we feed her elevated? Is this necessary in your opinions, as I do not have a clue about this.

Thanks so much!
Ruthie

sine123
02-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Ruthie,

I have a 19 month old male Dane (Victor) and Ella 11 week old Dane puppy.
I have not raised her bowls yet since she is still so small. For me it is more a question of comfort than anything and Victor who is 37 inches (withers) just does not look very comfortable when he is eating off of the floor. I can't remember when I started raising his bowls but I started out slowly with a telephone book and as he grew I just found taller things to put his food on. When I finally felt he was tall enough, he graduated to his father's old food stand.
I think I started raising it around the time he looked like a giraffe trying to eat something off of the floor. :-)
Like I said, he just looks more relaxed when he is eating from a raised bowl.

ruthie_a
02-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Thank you, I will pay attention to that.

Holldoll
02-22-2005, 12:40 PM
That's where I got mine from and I LOVE it!! It was custom made to fit Bandit's bowls and I tiled the top of it, so that it's easy to wipe off and it matches my kitchen.