PDA

View Full Version : How long it takes for sedation to wear off?

Shamu
01-29-2010, 12:20 PM
How long does it take for sedation to wear off?
About 1.5 hours ago she was given sedation/tranquilizer shot to do x-rays, and after that they gave her another medicine to "reverse" it, but she is still sleeping mostly, and walks very un-coordinated. I though after sedation she will be back to normal much faster.
I wonder if this is normal and just needs more time, or if something is wrong?
Vet told that she will be fine, and that I'm crazy and over-reacting. I hope I'm just over-reacting..

Meatos
01-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Depends how long she was under, and I would think it also depends on the type of anesthetic used?

Just keep an eye on her...let her sleep on it and see how she is in the morning.

Shamu
01-29-2010, 12:33 PM
she wasn't really put under full-blown anesthesia. She stayed awake, just 'slow'; and they gave another medicine to reverse it right after. She walked just fine to the car, lunged on another dog on the way to the car so I though she is fully awake.
but now when we got home, she didn't want to get out of the car, couldn't lay down in her crate - couldn't figure out how to lay down? and now she is sleeping

The sedative they use is DexDomitor

walker/sadiesmom
01-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Hey, you are never crazy for "over reacting" with your babies. She should be fine tomorrow, if not then over react and call your vet, cause something ain't right.

lennonsmommy
01-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Did the vet mix the dexdomitor with anything else? Many times the vet I work for will combine the dexdomitor with torbugesic or buprenex (both pain medications) to increase the sedative effects. When the dexdomitor is reversed (with antisedan) the torbugesic or buprenex will not reverse and the dog will still remain a little sedated.

Lennon had the dexdomitor and torbugesic combo when he had his hips x-rayed and he was pretty sleepy for 4-6 hours after he was reversed.

Shamu
01-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Did the vet mix the dexdomitor with anything else? Many times the vet I work for will combine the dexdomitor with torbugesic or buprenex (both pain medications) to increase the sedative effects. When the dexdomitor is reversed (with antisedan) the torbugesic or buprenex will not reverse and the dog will still remain a little sedated.

Lennon had the dexdomitor and torbugesic combo when he had his hips x-rayed and he was pretty sleepy for 4-6 hours after he was reversed.

thank you! I guess I should stop panicking :) It was for hips x-ray too, so most likely it was combo. And vet mentioned something about one medicine being reversible but something will stay in her system for some time, so I guess it was combined with something.
I just didn't expect her to be that sleepy.

I called the vet. He suggested to leave the dog alone and enjoy my free time..