PDA

View Full Version : How much did your dane grow after 1 year?

Anna68
06-23-2010, 09:20 PM
So Gunner is going to be 8 months in a couple weeks. He's at the higher end of weight/height. I'm curious how much they grow in their second year.
What was your danes weight/height at 1 year and how much at 2 years.

Lacey
06-23-2010, 10:49 PM
I don't have dane stats...but I have mastiff and saint bernard stats.

So not that it helps but they are extra large breed dogs too. So I shall put them for fun.

Bernie (saint) at 1.5yrs was 30" maybe 31" at 160lbs now at 3 years old he is 33"at 213lbs last I heard.

Oxford (mastiff) 1 year old 32"ish and 150-160lbs. Now he has just turned two and is 34"ish at about 200lbs.

My friends dane put on 4" after he turned a year old he is 2 now and sitting at 39" I think that is kind of a rare amount of growth after a year. I could be wrong though. I'm curious and happy you asked this question!

Sorry for the saint and mastiff stats. I know it was off topic. I just didn't have much else to give ya info wise.

jeann1230
06-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Luca grew after his first year another 6 cm and he gained a bunch of mass and head size all the way until he was finished with 3. He gained about 40 lbs. in the next two years in muscle mass.

ouesi
06-24-2010, 05:10 AM
I haven't measured, but about a month or two ago at 15/16 months, I was pretty convinced Breez was done growing up (as in height). Then about a week ago, I looked over and she was visibly taller than Lunar (they were the same). I thought my eyes were playing tricks, but nope, she has grown a good inch. rolleyes

I think it depends on genetics too. We have no clue about Breez's lines, but if Gunner is from a breeder, they may be able to tell you how their lines mature. :)

Lizzie
06-24-2010, 05:15 AM
Louis wil be 2 on Saturday..
he hasn't grown much taller this past year, he's about 36", but he has certainly filled out. He is thicker, his head is larger, and he has longer slingers....roflmao
(In the pic below he was probably closer to a year, his shoulder is above the kitchen counter now.)

Dobe&Dane
06-24-2010, 05:26 AM
I was wondering the same thing. Donko turns 1 on Saturday and I feel like he's plataeued as far as getting taller... I think he's got another inch in him though.

Mom2Dori
06-24-2010, 04:26 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Donko turns 1 on Saturday and I feel like he's plataeued as far as getting taller... I think he's got another inch in him though.

That boy is no where near done LOL!!!! I'd say he would be his tallest around 18months-2.5 years. Then he will fill out from there. :)

Meatos
06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Scarlett hit 33" at about 9mos and stayed there forever...she is almost 20mos now and has finally reached 34" (barely). At 9mos she was 33" and 115lbs and now she's 34" at about 135lbs. She is weird. I guess she's done now. Not sure if she will put on more weight...she still kinda has the puppy ganglies when she runs/walks.

luvmygus
07-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Great post! I was thinking that my Gus has plateaued. He is 10 months old and seems really short. I also just noticed today a dip in his back. I'm a little concerned about that.

Ward
07-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Great post! I was thinking that my Gus has plateaued. He is 10 months old and seems really short. I also just noticed today a dip in his back. I'm a little concerned about that.

He's probably going through a growth spurt. When their back legs grow faster than their front legs, they'll look uneven. Their front legs will catch up. :)

luvmygus
07-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks Ward! I knew I could count on good support here:) Having a Dane puppy feels just like when our daughter was a baby. I was constantly worrying if everything that was happening was supposed to berolleyes

Ward
07-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks Ward! I knew I could count on good support here:) Having a Dane puppy feels just like when our daughter was a baby. I was constantly worrying if everything that was happening was supposed to berolleyes

I know the feeling. These guys have us constantly worrying. That's why DOL is great.

omgshadow
07-15-2010, 06:04 AM
I found this super helpful too. Shadow has plateaued since she was like 8 months old. She's super small at like 29" and on a good day 100 pounds.. Her parents are pretty big and according to the breeders were both slow growers so we keep hoping for a bit more growth into her second year. We'll see.. until then we just call her our pocket dane. ;)

Danewillow
07-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't remember exact measurements but I know Maia was at least 32" at a year, probably more like 33-34". At 2 years she was around 36" and gained another inch after that. Then we cut the Miracle Grow out of her diet...

jcpoff
07-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone.

LoMax
07-31-2010, 09:01 AM
I think Murray was about 35" and 130lbs at one year. He is now 38" and 151lbs at 3.

Anna68
08-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I think Murray was about 35" and 130lbs at one year. He is now 38" and 151lbs at 3.
Good Lord! That's what I'm afraid of...
Gunner is 9 months today..:D he is 35 inches. Not sure of his exact weight but I'm guessing around 125lbs.
Sadly he was neutered at 8 weeks and I do worry about if affecting his growth/life span.

Lacey
08-04-2010, 08:42 PM
I can already see it. New worlds tallest dog Gunner! Haha good luck with him he seems to be growing like a weed. Its pups like gunner that make people ask why my dane is so small hahahahhaha. Don't worry I'm sure gunner will live a great life and live as long as any other dane.

Ollies Mom
08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Then we cut the Miracle Grow out of her diet...

I laughed out loud at this! Good one!

kmoore24
08-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Louis wil be 2 on Saturday..
he hasn't grown much taller this past year, he's about 36", but he has certainly filled out. He is thicker, his head is larger, and he has longer slingers....roflmao
(In the pic below he was probably closer to a year, his shoulder is above the kitchen counter now.)

Longer slingers?? Drool Strings maybe??? roflmaoroflmao Simons lips are getting longer and his "slingers" harder to clean up! And he almost 8 mos...

Brittany-Mooie&Token
08-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks for posting this thread. Token (1 year on 8 / 10) has plateued and we were afraid he was close to finished growing height wise. The responses were extremely helpful!! Thanks so much :D
At 1 year he is 33"

sticksnstring
08-05-2010, 07:03 PM
We measured our boys tonight and Finnegan is 11 months, 33 inches and just over 125 lbs. George is 10 months, 34 inches and 120 lbs. I measured to the shoulder point, is that right?

angeldane
08-07-2010, 07:04 PM
We measured our boys tonight and Finnegan is 11 months, 33 inches and just over 125 lbs. George is 10 months, 34 inches and 120 lbs. I measured to the shoulder point, is that right?
it's really suppose to be the withers which is the highest point between the shoulders it's a part of the dogs spine and considered the highest part of animals body ignoring head and neck

angelartone
08-10-2010, 01:27 AM
titan turned a year on july 15 he is 35" and weighs 150 lbs. I really hope he grows more height wise. Rajah is my EPI dog. he turned a year in june or july he is currently 36" and weighs 110 lbs. I dont know rajahs exact birth date he is my rescue.

Dobe&Dane
08-10-2010, 05:58 AM
I just weighed and measured Donko the other day- at 13 mos he's 141 lbs and between 35 and 36 inches (he wouldnt stand up staight and stay still)

valkarye
08-10-2010, 09:10 AM
My girl is just a year, and everyone tells me she is small for a dane - 30 inches and floats between 98 - 102 lbs. I wonder what they are comparing her to - as most of these people are also picking up their dogs when they see us coming . . .

Lacey
08-10-2010, 11:26 AM
My girl is just a year, and everyone tells me she is small for a dane - 30 inches and floats between 98 - 102 lbs. I wonder what they are comparing her to - as most of these people are also picking up their dogs when they see us coming . . .

HAHA according to my studies these people only campare your dane to the biggest one they have ever seen or the huge one they new way back when they were 3 years old. Im sorry but at 3 years old everythings big.roflmao

Also on the American Great dane club it says the average height for male and female danes. I think they have females at 31" and males are 34" for average size full grown danes.

Jazzandcompany
08-10-2010, 11:58 AM
I have no idea if it is a fluke but Jazz was struggling to catch any part of the growth curve! She was 45 pound when rescued at 4.5 months. At one year she was mid 80's and about 29 inches. She bloated a couple of weeks after turning 1. Now 2 months later she is mid 90's and 32" tall! She is finally starting to look like a healthy dane yay

Moxie'sMom
08-16-2010, 05:14 PM
At one year Mox was 31 inches and 102#. Now at 16 months, she is 112# and 33 inches. My vet said she will probably get another inch or 2 and maybe get to 125-130#.Thumbup

SevenVeils
09-13-2010, 10:24 PM
I was just coming to post about my dog having grown.

I got her on July 2, and was told that she was almost 2 years old (I'm waiting for her paperwork, I don't know her birthdate yet but I will soon). At that time she was 116 lbs at 28 inches (she is from import lines, so she is more stocky/mastiffy).

In the first week that I had her, I took her to the dog park, where we met and chatted with a man who has a huge Malamute. Bayou and his Malamute were almost the same size (I'm talking about the level of their backs), with Bayou being just barely shorter than Snowy. We went back a couple of weeks later, and they looked exactly even, or maybe Bayou's back was just a bit higher than Snowy's, but it was just a bit.

Yesterday, we went back to the dog park again, and Snowy and his owner showed up. This time, Bayou was very clearly taller than Snowy, his owner commented on it.

So I just measured her, and she is now just a hair under 30 inches.

It's funny, I had been thinking that she seemed bigger, and when I lean on her as I walk I thought that I had noticed it as well but given her age I had thought that she was pretty much done.

Vector
09-14-2010, 09:43 PM
I see no one is mentioning if their GD is neutered or not. That can certainly make a difference how large they will grow both at 1 year and beyond. Dogs that your snipped early will have their growth potential reduced.

Lacey
09-14-2010, 09:55 PM
I see no one is mentioning if their GD is neutered or not. That can certainly make a difference how large they will grow both at 1 year and beyond. Dogs that your snipped early will have their growth potential reduced.

Well from what has been being neuter will NOT cause a Dane to lose height since height is genetic. Actually most of what I have read supports the facts stating neutering early can cause a Dane to actually grow taller in the long run.

If you look at gunner anna's boy who was fixed at 8 weeks I believe. He is already 36" at like 10 months. My friends Dane is 40" ( fixed at 4 months) is 3" taller than his next closest sibling in height. The tall Danes of our Dane group were all neiutered before 6 months old. Keep in mind they may not be perfect conformation wise. I find shorter Danes have a better chance at being more correct as far as standard goes.

Vector
09-15-2010, 12:39 AM
Actually most of what I have read supports the facts stating neutering early can cause a Dane to actually grow taller in the long run.

I am not sure where you have read that, but it does not comport with conventional wisdom.

ouesi
09-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Dogs that your snipped early will have their growth potential reduced.

Its actually the opposite. Has something to do with testosterone and its effect on the growth plates. Dogs neutered too young are often tall and "weedy" looking.
This is also somehow linked to bone cancer later in life.
Thus the advice to wait as long as possible to neuter in giant breeds.
Of course the link is not clear, and there are always exceptions. The one dog (rhodesian ridgeback) we lost to osteosarcoma was intact. Go figure.

Susanne
09-15-2010, 06:14 AM
Mickey was 34" 125lbs 9 to 10 months and stayed there for the longest time. At 2 years he got up to 35 134lbs. He is now 30 months old and has grown another inch for 36" 160lbs. He is starting to fill out but I don't think he is done yet. This line grows very slowly. His father was 38" 185lbs but that don't go to say he will never reach that height. I'm really surprised that Mickey is even 36" his grandfather on his mother's side was 34 1/4 or 3/4 quarter, forgot what the owner said he was...but anyway. It's always good to know what the grandparents and parents height was.

Correct if I'm wrong but didn't Gibson's owner say he was still growing up at 4 yr old before he died at 5 of bone cancer.

Vector
09-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Its actually the opposite. Has something to do with testosterone and its effect on the growth plates. Dogs neutered too young are often tall and "weedy" looking.
This is also somehow linked to bone cancer later in life.
Thus the advice to wait as long as possible to neuter in giant breeds.
Of course the link is not clear, and there are always exceptions. The one dog (rhodesian ridgeback) we lost to osteosarcoma was intact. Go figure.

When I said growth potential in my first post, I was not referring to just height, but overall growth(girth) as well. If neutering early will create an abnormal looking GD(aside from any ill health effects)height wise, why would someone want to do that?

Susanne
09-15-2010, 10:26 AM
If everyone knew we wouldn't really have that problem and it depends on where we get our fur babies from. One reason is the vet coming into play and not being Dane (Giant Breed Overall) savvy. The owner relies too much on the vet when they buy from a less ethical breeder which the breeder should tell what age is appropriate for their line.

When adopting from shelters or rescues, some dogs can't be adopted until they are spayed or neutered and in a lot of cases the puppies may be under 6 months old. And then you have your breeders that don't like their dogs being neutered or spayed until after 9 or 12 months or the first season for some.

reynosa_k9's
10-20-2010, 10:20 AM
I know this is an old thread but came here looking for info on growth rate. Yeti will be 2yrs in just over a week and has grown like crazy the last couple months. Although I knew he would continue to grow some after 18mos I didn't expect this much growth, it really caught me by surprise. He's now 38" and 180+lbs. At 18mos he was barely 36" and maybe 160lbs. He's not the least bit over-weight just simply a very big boy. Then again he is raw fed and I know raw fed dogs tend to grow at a slower rate.
Anyway, I just came here trying to get an idea of when he will stop. lol
I love my big boy but don't want him him getting too big. Although it is funny to see when Guinevere walks under him. hahaha

NavyWife
10-20-2010, 10:54 AM
What's his height and weight??

reynosa_k9's
10-20-2010, 11:55 AM
He's now 38", 180+lbs, and still growing.
ETA: I know nobody can answer my question but am grateful for some of the replies in this thread, especially one from SusRob0674.
I did learn that he could possibly grow for a few more months.

clhenry77
10-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Well we got our dane when he was over a year...but barley. We took him to the vet and he is 115lbs but can't remember how tall he is

ilovekbanda
10-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Good Lord! That's what I'm afraid of...
Gunner is 9 months today..:D he is 35 inches. Not sure of his exact weight but I'm guessing around 125lbs.
Sadly he was neutered at 8 weeks and I do worry about if affecting his growth/life span.

He is certainly a big boy--we got to see most of his brothers and sister a few weeks back and they were in the 140 and 150's they are a very large danes all around. I think Mikey is the largest along with Elvis in the high 150's...(but I have to admit, it may have been all the love we put into them--with all of the bottles and cuddles...LOL) Also I would like to add it was not "sad" he was neutered early, at almost 10 weeks actually-he was a rescue and it was for protecting and preservation of the breed.

Manda Rae
10-22-2010, 08:14 PM
We just took our Zues to the vet Thursady and he is 10 months old and 111lb ( we took him in from a family that couldn't feed him anymore) we are fat n him up lol. the great thing about the vet was they fixed him he got his rabbies and parvo and dewored him and it only coast us $50 meds included. how sweet is that.
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j380/manda3rae/Zues%20and%20Maggie/dogdogandwhatelse004.jpg

sorry i'm new and learning how to use this site (i'm bad with computers) lol

danemommd
10-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Manda Rae- Cute photo of your boy with the little dog. I bet he's happy to have a new family.:)