PDA

View Full Version : Goliath great dane

Lacey
10-12-2010, 04:33 PM
So I was at the park the othere night and met two guys who both owned full grown "Goliath great danes." :mad: They noticed andross was a dane and came over right away to talk to me. First they are nice about andross but as the time passes the start commenting on how "small" he is. Mind you andross is actually taller than one of the GGDs and the same height as the othere. so it went on blah blah blah goliath great danes are better blah blah. I was trying to keep my cool obviously they were undereducated and bought from a BYB unknowingly probably i didn't know really. I really was trying not to care about the whole bigger is better convo. Then one said that both GGDs were over 4,500$ I said wait are you sure they are not European great danes?? they replied nope they are Goliath great danes one of the most expensive dogs to own. Finally I asked...What is a Goliath Great dane???? he said its a mastiff mixed with a great dane:eek: I don't know why i just must be a really tactless person but the next sentence i said came flying out of my mouth so quick i didn't have time to stop myself.

I replied. "Wow so you bought yourselves some very expesnive mutts!" (ya im evil) I then said sorry but the man went on to tell me that they are not mutts there Goliath danes. blah blah. I ended the playdate with "has anyone told you that when you mix two different breeds together they are not a new breed?" then i just left because you know I really don't like trying to bring out a negative down fall in another dog because they seemed like great dogs. its just the owner was a bit uneducated.

So anyone else heard of a Goliath dane???

One last story...

Sorry one more thing that has nothing to do with this. When i was at the vet with andross the othere day one of the vet techs made fun of his size she really pissed me off!!:mad: I told her he is perfect she replied with "don't you think he would be so much cooler if he was one of those really tall danes?"butthead1 it kind of made me sad and mad because i always thought andross was a pretty cool dog anyways. My poor boy at least he doesn't get what they were saying. Sorry that was so random but i needed to vent about that.

Mr. Walnuts
10-12-2010, 04:43 PM
I've heard this term too, but I unfortunately have no answer. I tried searching the forum for Euro Danes, but the threads were so old that all the photo links were broken.

I did a search outside the forum of Euro Danes and I actually did see mention of Mastiff. I couldn't say if that's true... but I would imagine that Mastiffs and Danes have a common ancesto and the two breeds have since been bred apart. If this is true (and I am obviously guessing it based on University Biology, not breeding experience), the correlary would be that this Dane/Mastiff mix (Goliath Dane) is the common ancestor.

The domesticated dog wasn't truly bred for specific breed until the 1800's, mostly because at the time it was one of the fastest animals that genetics could be bred in/out of for significant traits attributes quick enough for someone to see change. (I've seen evidence that egyptians did it, but only for one breed)

Hopefully one of the breeders here can chime in and correct me if I'm mistaken; They would be best qualified to give a true answer.

**Edit**
If danes have bone/joint/hip problems because of their giant size, wouldn't breeding them for size be unhealthy?

Lacey
10-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I've heard this term too, but I unfortunately have no answer. I tried searching the forum for Euro Danes, but the threads were so old that all the photo links were broken.

I did a search outside the forum of Euro Danes and I actually did see mention of Mastiff. I couldn't say if that's true... but I would imagine that Mastiffs and Danes have a common ancesto and the two breeds have since been bred apart. If this is true (and I am obviously guessing it based on University Biology, not breeding experience), the correlary would be that this Dane/Mastiff mix (Goliath Dane) is the common ancestor.

The domesticated dog wasn't truly bred for specific breed until the 1800's, mostly because at the time it was one of the fastest animals that genetics could be bred in/out of for significant traits attributes quick enough for someone to see change. (I've seen evidence that egyptians did it, but only for one breed)

Hopefully one of the breeders here can chime in and correct me if I'm mistaken; They would be best qualified to give a true answer.

**Edit**
If danes have bone/joint/hip problems because of their giant size, wouldn't breeding them for size be unhealthy?

Oh I understand what you mean. All breeds have to be mixed somewhere along the lines. I just don't like how the breed has come so far and we have these amazing breeders who work so hard to keep producing standard quality pups wether they are european line danes or american it just makes me mad that people think they can just wake up one day and think they can produce a new breed. Yes danes and mastiffs are similar but they should be bred together just because.

Mr. Walnuts
10-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I agree.

Actually, I should correct something I said. The correlary wouldn't be that its the same breed... but that it would be similar to the same breed, assuming that only Danes and Mastiffs originate from it; if a third, fourth, or fith breed also share that ancestor, then it would just be a mutt.

angeldane
10-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Goliath Danes?, never heard of that and spending $4500 on a mix breed, those guys were morons, I can import a dog from Germany and have a real reason to spend that much. I can't see spending that much on a non-show pet dog unless it's from another country. But those guys can be grateful they aren't into black Chinese Tibetan Mastiffs they didn't fork over $40,000 just $4500.
As for the vet techs isn't your dane still under a year old, I get a little tired of people expecting every dane to tower 38 inches tall. It's even harder for female dane owners because they typically are under 34 inches tall.
Breeding for size alone is why I see so many BYB danes that are huge yet crippled and can barely run.

maggiemay98
10-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Andross is a very handsome boy and the guys at the park are idiots. Just proves the statement credited to P.T. Barnum; "there's a sucker born every minute". Give it a fancy name, and people will buy anything. I bet we spend more on "fertilizer" than we would if it was labeled "Bag O Shit" even tho it's the same thing.:)

Why does everyone always want the BIGGEST, TALLEST Great Dane? My Jacob is very tall, but he's deaf and an orthopedic train wreck, but every hillbilly yahoo who ever saw him at Petsmart wanted to breed their dog to him. My friend who ran the rescue I volunteered with used to tell me to go ahead and charge them a couple hundred $$ stud fee and let Jacob give it a try. Only problem is Jacob was neutered at 4 months old and has no clue what to do with a girl except wrestle with her.:confused:

LoMax
10-12-2010, 05:14 PM
They call them gladiator danes here, and those guys got robbed.

Mr. Walnuts
10-12-2010, 05:20 PM
They call them gladiator danes here, and those guys got robbed.

What, a Dane/Mastiff mix? Hmm.. I wonder why that name was given?thinkabc

WeLoveOur7Dogs
10-12-2010, 05:21 PM
I just wanted to add that I too really think Andross is a cool dog. :)

There is always going to be someone out there who wants to capitalize on the "giant" theme. :mad:

BigLittleSmall
10-12-2010, 05:32 PM
If someone told me my dog would be "cooler" if he was taller (or anything else) I might simply respond, "yeah .. he might be cooler, and I bet you would be cooler too .. if you were only prettier". :mad:

How rude can a person get.

Ximmy's Mom
10-12-2010, 05:38 PM
I love Andross, he is so handsome!
He actually kinda reminds me of our late dane Chaos.

Enhanced
10-12-2010, 06:13 PM
I have found that many insulting or demeaning comments are made by people who feel jealousy for what others have. In this case you have a lovely Dane and they do not.

I find the best tactic in situations where someone doesn't know what they are talking about is to educate them. I try to remain cordial but if need be I have been known to be a bit dominant and even aggressive. ;)

Begabone
10-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I love Andross too! I think he's the perfect size :D and he will probably live forever!

I also agree that those guys are morons to spend a small fortune on a dog just because some BYBer decided to give their mutt pups some fancy name.

DANEger
10-12-2010, 07:27 PM
9000 dollars for 2 mutts? INSANE! I'm sure the "breeder" laughed all the way to the bank. Sad that they perpetuated a BYB and THINK they have this special breed of dog. I hope they are well-loved and well-cared for.

Ward
10-12-2010, 09:16 PM

**Edit**

Danes originally came from Mastiffs and Greyhounds (and some would argue Irish Wolfhounds), so the Mastiff IS their common ancestor. In Germany, Danes are called Deutsche Dogges, which translates to German Mastiff. Did you do any research before you got your dogs? (I'm not trying to be snarky, but it appears that way.)

Lacey, Andross is WAY better than any Goliath, Gladiator, King, or BYB-bred Euro Dane. Don't be afraid to say something back to them when they insult Andross.

The people that are genuinely curious about the average size of a Dane, I answer very politely (it's an excuse to talk Dane!). But the idiots who make stupid comments are the ones I use my witty lines on. I'll have to remember the "if only you were prettier" one!

Mr. Walnuts
10-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Did you do any research before you got your dogs? (I'm not trying to be snarky, but it appears that way.)

No worries, thats a legitimate question. I did a ton of research, but I did NOT do research into the origins of Great danes. I've had Great danes since the day I was born (I'm 31, my parents bought me a Harlequin Female as a pre-birth gift, and she was with us for a very long time). I did a lot of research on breeders, genetic defects, known health problems, foods ( I beefed up on dietary info a few years back with my other breed dogs and feed Solid Gold Barking Over The Moon), and the like. I never thought to research the ancestry of the breed.

**Edit** I too don't want to appear sarcastic at all, but I'm actually curious; if the Mastiff is the common ancestor, then wouldn't that mean the Mastiff wouldn't be a true "breed"? I read that in the 1800's in Europe, people discovered that they could breed dogs for traits/attributes and the different breeds were born. If the Mastiff is the common ancestor that was never bred down for attributes, then one of two things is true (by scientific logic, not genetics):

1. Mastiff is not a true "breed", but rather an unbred ancestor
2. If it does qualify as a breed, then that would mean breeding dogs with a common ancestor (with the correct % of each) would result in another common ancestor that SHOULD qualify as another "breed" (ie: Shar-Pei & Chow Chow, they have a common ancestor)

I absolutely don't mean to stir trouble, but a common ancestor would be an "UnBreed" wouldn't it; a confluence of other breeds? The thing that makes a "breed" special, is that those attributes were completely bred down from its ancestors to its current state... and it cannot go any further...

I mean, there are special breeds like Labradoodle, APBT, and Labradane... but those aren't true breeds because they can be further bred down to seperate and distinctly different breeds. Breed is the bottom of the line.

piggers
10-12-2010, 10:36 PM
I think your comment was perfect. I have never heard of Goliath Danes before either... I can't believe someone would pay that much for what is essentially a mutt.

I think your baby is absolutely adorable! Our rescue girl isn't overly tall either, in fact it's usually me telling others who are in awe of her size that she's smaller compared to a lot of GD's.

hbkdiesel
10-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I see the "Gladiator Danes" advertised in our paper all the time, always makes me cringe. I had my male with me when I stopped at the store awhile back and a man came up to ask if he was fixed. He said he had a female mastiff and wanted to breed her to a dane. Never mind that Bones is a blue and his mastiff was a fawn. I wasn't very nice about it and told Bones was fixed and if he wasn't I still would not breed him to a mastiff and that you never breed a blue with a fawn anything. I think he got my point and I wasn't trying to be rude but I get tired of seeing the mixes advertised like they are a new and improved great dane. butthead1

Lacey
10-12-2010, 11:42 PM
I love Andross too! I think he's the perfect size :D and he will probably live forever!

I also agree that those guys are morons to spend a small fortune on a dog just because some BYBer decided to give their mutt pups some fancy name.

Thank you everyone. Yes i think Andross is a fine size too. He's not even close to being a giant but hey he is not the smallest dane i have ever seen either. We actually ran into 2 male danes the othere day one of them was 3yrs and the othere was 1 year 10months and i was shocked to see that both of them were the same height as andross.yay they played well together too.

To answer angledane. Andross turned a year old last month. I don't care so much for height anymore because i just rather he fill in. He is actually finally starting to look noticably taller than some of the HUGE dogs at our park. my little boy is still growing slowly but yup! still growing.

I'm really tempted to post new pics of andross but eh i think im going to make you all wait until he is at least a 18 months old. now that hes back on track health wise i can see him really starting to grow. (weight wise)

LoMax
10-12-2010, 11:44 PM
No worries, thats a legitimate question. I did a ton of research, but I did NOT do research into the origins of Great danes. I've had Great danes since the day I was born (I'm 31, my parents bought me a Harlequin Female as a pre-birth gift, and she was with us for a very long time). I did a lot of research on breeders, genetic defects, known health problems, foods ( I beefed up on dietary info a few years back with my other breed dogs and feed Solid Gold Barking Over The Moon), and the like. I never thought to research the ancestry of the breed.

**Edit** I too don't want to appear sarcastic at all, but I'm actually curious; if the Mastiff is the common ancestor, then wouldn't that mean the Mastiff wouldn't be a true "breed"? I read that in the 1800's in Europe, people discovered that they could breed dogs for traits/attributes and the different breeds were born. If the Mastiff is the common ancestor that was never bred down for attributes, then one of two things is true (by scientific logic, not genetics):

1. Mastiff is not a true "breed", but rather an unbred ancestor
2. If it does qualify as a breed, then that would mean breeding dogs with a common ancestor (with the correct % of each) would result in another common ancestor that SHOULD qualify as another "breed" (ie: Shar-Pei & Chow Chow, they have a common ancestor)

I absolutely don't mean to stir trouble, but a common ancestor would be an "UnBreed" wouldn't it; a confluence of other breeds? The thing that makes a "breed" special, is that those attributes were completely bred down from its ancestors to its current state... and it cannot go any further...

I mean, there are special breeds like Labradoodle, APBT, and Labradane... but those aren't true breeds because they can be further bred down to seperate and distinctly different breeds. Breed is the bottom of the line.
All dogs have a common ancestor. They were bred over time to suit the purpose and needs of man... protection, hunting, companionship. The dane was originally bred as a boar hunter. Breeders can choose traits to focus on in their line, like - longevity, tempermant, size, euro-look, etc. It can take years for a breed to be recognized by the AKC, and yes, maybe someday some of these designer breeds we are scoffing at will become recognized breeds. People who are breeding Mastiffs with Great Danes will use the ancestry line to support their breeding. Many of these Goliaths do not have the grace and elegance of a dane. The last one I saw had splayed feet and weird earset and was a mess. The only thing on these BYB's minds are size and money. The people that buy them, well they are looking for size and a win in the pissing match over having a bigger dog with a "cool" name. I just tell them that they are wrecking the breeds... both Danes and Mastiffs.

By the way Andross in a lovely dane.

jeann1230
10-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi Chris,

Mastiffs are a registered breed of their own. And yes, to make the breed Great Danes in Germany they have been cross bred in. But they still exist in their original form. Mastiffs have been bred into many breeds like bull dogs, Argentinos, Filas, Cane corsos, Neopolitano, etc. So the Mastiff is a kind of a parent breed. The Mastiff very much like the Great Dane was used for boar hunting and guarding. A Mastiff is very heavy and stocky, and so is not a very fast dog. Since hunting changed and was often done from horseback, a faster but equally strong dog was needed. Therefore they crossed Mastiffs with sight hounds (the brought out of the middle east during the crusades) to get both the speed and agility of the sight hound and the strength from the Mastiff. That is how we ended up with the breed of the great Dane.

Great Danes were long time bred before they was finally acknowledged as their own breed in 1888. Danes were already looking the way they are now in the 1500's. Experienced breeders have at times over the ages freshed the genes by either adding a Mastiff or a sight hound back into the lines, to either further agility and lines and built.

In the 70's and 80's Danes were bred in Germany that got larger and taller, and heavier. Today breeders realize that this had the drawback that the Danes died younger and younger because their health deteriorated because of the larger structure and weight they had to carry.

Breeders are back to breed a Dane that is elegant and agile while not losing anything of their strength. They adhere more to the standard.

@Andross, the next time somebody makes a rude comment about your Dane, tell them that he complies with the standard and that you did not remember asking for their ignorant and unqualified judgment. Larger and heavier is never better in Danes, larger always means possible health hazards.

Mr. Walnuts
10-13-2010, 12:11 AM
@jeann1230, Amazing info... thanks a ton.

I recently read that breeding out traits/attributes resulting in breeds happened in the late 1700's/early1800's... but that must have been the widespread and popular breeding of dogs for trait by mainstream society for other than utilitarian needs; but what you're saying is supported by the egyptians breeding a specific breed for speed and heat tolerance and other societies breeding for protective traits/attributes (ie chinese shar-Pei & Chow Chow).

PBS "Dogs that changed the world" parts 1 & 2... and "Nat Geo - The Science of Dogs" also talk about it. I can't remember the textbook I read it in, but it was part of one of my biology/taxonomy course literature.

jeann1230
10-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Hi Chris,

what I wrote I got from the German Great Dane Club website (Parent club of the Great Dane in the FCI). Check out the website http://www.doggen.de/index2.html

Great Dane

F.C.I.-Standard No. 235/10.04.2002/D

Origin: Germany

Date of publication of the valid original-standards: March 13, 2001

Use: Escort-, Guard- and Security-Dog

F.C.I.-Classification:
Group 2: Group 2: Pinscher, Schnauzer, Molossoide, Swiss Sennenhund and other breeds
Selection 2.I: Molossoide, danelike dogs

without exam

Historical Overview: The precursors of today’s Great Dane are the old “Bullenbeisser” as well as the so-called “Hatz- and Saurüden” (hounds), which are a cross between the strong Mastiff of the English type and a fast and nimble Greyhound. At first, big and strong dogs that did not necessarily belong to a certain breed were considered as Danes. Later on, names like Ulmer Dane, English Dane, Danish Dane, “Hatzrüde”, “Saupacker” (wild boar hunt) and big Dane described the different sizes and colors of this type. In 1878 a committee of seven, consisting of committed breeders and judges with the chairman Dr Bodinus, decided in Berlin to unite all varieties of the above-mentioned types under the term “Deutsche Dogge” (German Dane, ie Great Dane). Through this the foundation for the first German dog breed has been laid. In 1880, on the occasion of a dog show in Berlin, a standard for the Great Dane was determined for the first time. Since 1888, the “Deutsche Doggen Club 1888 e.V.” is in charge of this standards and repeatedly modified it since. Today’s edition fulfills the demands of the F.C.I.

General Appearance: The noble outward appearance of a Great Dane unites a big, strong and well-shaped body structure with pride, strength and elegance. Through substance paired with nobility, harmony and a well-proportioned line as well as a very impressive head, it looks like a noble statue. It is the Apollo among the dog breeds.

Important Proportions: The body structure seems to be almost square – especially with males. With males the trunk length (tip of breastbone up to the bump of the hip bone) should not exceed the withers height by more than 5% and with bitches not more than 10%.

Behavior/ Character (Nature): Friendly, loving and attached to their owners, especially to kids, restrained towards strangers. Demands: a self-confident, intrepid family- and escort-dog with a high stimulus threshold and without aggressive behavior, who is quick and eager to learn and easy to handle.

Head: Upper head:

Skull: Must be harmonious to the total appearance, long, slender, prominent, expressive, fine features (especially the part under the eyes), well-developed arch of the eyebrows but without being too prominent. The distance from the tip of the nose up to the stop and from the stop up to the weakly distinctive bone of the back of the head should be about the same. The upper lines of fang and skull should be parallel. Viewed from the front the head should seem slender whereas the bridge of the nose should be broad and the cheek muscles should not be prominent but only slightly show their features.

STOP: Prominent

Facial Bones:

Nose sponge: well-developed, broader than too round and with big nostrils. It has to be black, except for the the harlequin Danes. For these Danes a black nose is wished for but a black spotted or flesh-colored nose is also tolerated. The nose color of blue sanes is anthracite (light black).

Fang: Should be deeply-set and rectangular. Well visible chaps angle. Dark-pigmented chaps. With harlequin Danes, incompletely pigmented or flesh-colored chaps are tolerated.

Jaw/ Teeth: Well-developed, broad jaw. Strong, healthy and complete scissors bite (42 teeth according to the tooth formula).

Eyes: Medium-sized with a lively intelligent and friendly expression; should be dark, almond-shaped with flat eyelids. For blue Danes, lighter eyes are permissible. For harlequin Danes, light-colored or eyes of two different colors are tolerated.

Ears: Von Hanging by nature, attached high, medium-sized, front edges should touch the cheeks.

Neck: Long, dry, muscular. Well-developed base, should taper a little towards the head with a curved neck-line.

Body:

Withers: Highest point of the strong body. It is formed by the two shoulder blades which tower above the spiny process.
Back: Short and taut, in an almost straight line slightly dropping away to the back.
Loins:: Slightly bulging, broad, very muscular
Croup: Broad, very muscular, from rump-bone to base of tail slightly dropping away and insignificantly running in the base of the tail
Chest: Reaching up to the elbow joints. Well-bulging with ribs widely going back. Broad chest with prominent fore chest
Lower profile and stomach: Stomach should be drawn to the back and form a well-curved line with the underside of the thorax.

Tail: Reaches up to the hock. Set up high and broad. Tapers gradually to the tip. Being calm, it hangs down with a natural swing. Being agitated or in motion, it is worn saber-like but not much over the back line. A ‘brush’ tail is not desired.

LIMBS FORELEG:
Shoulders: Very muscular. Shoulder blade is long and sloping in an angle of 100-110 degrees to the upper arm.
Upper arm: Strong and muscular, flat to the body. Should be a bit longer than the shoulder blade.
Elbows: Neither turned outwards nor inwards
Forearm: Strong and muscular, viewed from the front and side it should be totally straight
Tarsus joint of forefoot: Strong, stable. Only slightly standing out from the structure of the forearm
Middle part of forefoot: Strong, straight when viewed from the front. Slightly directed towards the front when viewed from the side.
Front paws: Roundish, domed with flat toes (cat paws). Short, strong and dark nails.

HIND-LEG:
The entire skeleton is covered with strong muscles which let the croup, the hip and the thigh appear broad and roundish. The strong and well-angled hind legs are parallel to the forelegs when viewed from the back.
Thigh:: Long, broad, very muscular
Knee: Strong, almost perfectly vertical under the hip joint
Lower leg:: Long, more or less the same length as the thigh, very muscular
Hock: Strong, stable, neither turned inwards nor outwards
Middle part of hind leg: Short, strong, almost perfectly vertical
Hind paws: Roundish, domed with flat toes (cat paws). Short, strong and dark nails.

Gait: Harmonious, supple, lengthy, slightly jaunty with parallel moving legs when viewed from the front and back.

Skin: Close-fitting, for plain colored well pigmented, for harlequin Danes the pigmentation corresponds to the predominant color.

FUR:
Hair: Very short and thick, close-fitting, shiny
Color: The Great Dane is being bred in three independent varieties: Fawn and Brindle, Harlequin and Black, Blue
Fawn: Light up to rich old gold, black muzzle desired. Not desired are small white spots on chest and toes
Brindle: Ground color is light up to rich old gold with black, even and clearly marked stripes which run towards the ribs. Black muzzle desired. Not desired are small white spots on chest and toes.
Harlequin (so-called Tiger Danes): Ground color is pure white without any cast. Glossy black spots of different shapes and sizes spread over the entire body. Not desired are grey or brownish spots.
Black: Glossy black, white spots are permissible; among these we also count the mantle harlequin who wear the black color like a mantle around the body, whereas the fang, neck, chest, stomach, legs and tail may be white; just like danes with a white ground color and large black ‘plates’ (‘Plate Dogs’).
Blue: Pure steel-blue, white spots on chest and paws are permissible.

SIZE: Withers height: For males minimum 80 cm
For bitches minimum 72 cm

FAULTS:
Any deviation from the aforesaid points has to be regarded as faulty, whose assessment should be in proportion to the degree of the deviation.

General Appearance:: Faulty sex distinctiveness, lacking harmony, too light, too coarse.
Character: Lack of self-confidence, nervousness, low stimulus threshold
Head: Not parallel running head line, apple-shaped head, wedge-shaped head, too little stop, prominent cheek muscles
Fang:: Pointed, minor chaps, jutted out chaps, bridge of nose concave (saddle nose), convex or dropping away to the front (eagle nose).
Jaw/ Teeth: Any deviation from the complete set of teeth (only a missing PM1 of the lower jaw can be tolerated): uneven positioning of individual incisors, too little teeth
Eyes: Loose eyelids, too intensely reddened conjunctiva; light, penetrating, amber-colored eyes; watery-blue or eyes of two different colors for all plain colored danes. Both eyes being too wide apart or having slit eyes, protruding or hollowly eyes.
Ears: Attached too high or too low, sticking out to the side or being too flat
Neck: Short, thick neck, ‘deer neck’, too much loose skin on the throat or dewlap
Back: Fallen back, carp-like back, too long, back line rising up to the back
Croup: Plummeting or being horizontal
Tail: Too strong, too long or too short; attached too low or too high over the back line; hooked or curly tail, as well as a tail turned sideways. A tail that’s widened out, thickens at the end or a docked tail.
Thorax: Flat or barrel-shaped ribs, lacking broadness or depth of the chest, protruding breastbone
Lower profile: Stomach line not sufficiently drawn back; faulty atrophied dugs.
Fore leg: Not sufficiently angled. Light bones, weak muscles. Not in a vertical position.
Shoulders: Loose, overloaded. Steeply-positioned shoulder blade.
Elbows: Loose, turned in- or outwards
Forearm: Curved. Bumps above the tarsus joint of the forefoot.
VTarsus joint of forefoot: Bumpy. Considerably giving or over-bending.
Middle part of forefoot: Too sloping or steep
Hind-leg: Angle too open or closed. Cow-like or barrel-like position or too tight.
Hock: Bumpy, unstable
Paws: Flat, splayed, long
Gait: Not sufficiently lengthy, closed action, frequent or permanent amble, faulty correspondence between foreleg and hind-leg movements.
Fur: Dull fur
Color:
Yellow-gray, yellow-blue, Isabel or dirty-yellow color
Brindle: Ground color silver-blue or Isabel, faded brindle
Harlequin: Ground color with a blue-gray cast, large yellow-gray or blue-gray spots
Black: Yellow-, brown- or blue-black color
Blue: Yellow- or black-blue color

SERIOUS FAULTS:
Character: timidity
Jaw/ Teeth: pincer bite
Eyes: ectropy, entropy
Tail:bent tail

DISQUALIFYING FAULTS:
Character: aggressiveness, biting of fear
Nose: liver-colored nose, split nose
Jaw/ Teeth: fore bite, back bite, cross bite
Color:
Fawn and Brindle Danes with a white line on the forehead, a white collar, white paws or ‘socks’ and white tip of the tail
Blue Danes with a white line on the forehead, a white collar, white ‘socks’ or white tip of the tail
Harlequin Danes Danes that are plain white without any trace of black (Albinos) As well as deaf Danes; so-called Porcelain Tigers (these show predominantly blue, gray, fawn or brindled spots); so-called Grey Tigers (these have a gray ground color with black spots)
Zize under minimum size

ATTN: Males must have two obvious normally developed testicles which are situated entirely in the scrotum.

http://www.doggen.de/logos/standard.gif

Mr. Walnuts
10-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Excellent info indeed. Perfect thread for it too.

ouesi
10-13-2010, 02:25 AM
My understanding of what makes a breed a breed is that when bred together they produce consistency in traits.

For example, if you breed a lab and a poodle, you will get a litter of puppies some who look like labs, some who look like poodles, some who look like both. But the entire litter does not look alike. If you take a pup from the labXpoodle breeding and breed it to a pup from another labXpoodle breeding, you STILL will not get consistent results in the litter. Some will look more lab-y and some will look more poodle-y. It takes many generations and careful selection to create a breed that breeds "pure". ie: a purebred.

Hence the standards for purebred dogs (whether AKC recognized or rare breed or what have you - they all have to adhere to a set standard). That I am aware of, there is no breed standard for "mastadanes", "boxadors", "doberotts" or the oodles of "-doodles" out there that unscrupulous breeders charge a small fortune for.
Not to mention that none of these "designer dogs" are screened for genetic diseases. Labs and boxers are both breeds riddled with orthopedic issues, cancer, etc. Breeding a genetic heath disaster with another genetic health disaster does not magically create a healthy dog as the "hybrid vigor" people would have you believe.

Moxie'sMom
10-13-2010, 04:17 AM
The vet tech you spoke with must also have been bitten by the "bigger is bettter" bug. When people comment that Moxie is small, BTW she was 33' and 112# at 14 months, I always say. " I am thrilled, she will live longer that way." The freakishly large danes may look cool but when the are still young dogs and cannot even wlk anymore it becomes way less cool. This is a bit of a soapbox for me- sorry if I rant

Mr. Walnuts
10-13-2010, 04:30 AM
If the mastiff is the common ancestor as stated above... then it cannot possibly consistently throw all mastiffs or else Danes would not have eventually been bred down from mastiffs correct? ... and if they can consistently yield mastiffs, that would mean they could not possibly be the common ancestor.

600 years ago there were not hundreds of breed of dog. Like dogs were bred together and inconsistent pups were seperated and bred with other like pups... this continued as different variation were bred out until all possible variations of dog were reached; those baseline variations are called breeds and cannot be bred further for deviation.

Now if the mastiff is only ancestor to the Dane (and nothing else) and the Dane is a variation of the ancestor then it would be possible; but if Mastiffs were one time bred for variation until the Dane was created... then that mastiff didn't yield consistent pups, at least one mastiff in the ancestry threw a dane somewhere.

**Edit**
I'd like to add: lol @ "oodles of '-doodles'"

kmoore24
10-13-2010, 06:04 AM
I know this is slightly off topic - but my son emailed me yesterday - THey got a "designer dog" over the weekend... Cross between a boarder collie and a lab.... I forget what they called it.....

At least they rescued from the pound and did not pay some moron tons of $$$ for it... But someone did at first I suspect....butthead1

ouesi
10-13-2010, 06:14 AM
If the mastiff is the common ancestor as stated above... then it cannot possibly consistently throw all mastiffs or else Danes would not have eventually been bred down from mastiffs correct? ... and if they can consistently yield mastiffs, that would mean they could not possibly be the common ancestor.

600 years ago there were not hundreds of breed of dog. Like dogs were bred together and inconsistent pups were seperated and bred with other like pups... this continued as different variation were bred out until all possible variations of dog were reached; those baseline variations are called breeds and cannot be bred further for deviation.

Now if the mastiff is only ancestor to the Dane (and nothing else) and the Dane is a variation of the ancestor then it would be possible; but if Mastiffs were one time bred for variation until the Dane was created... then that mastiff didn't yield consistent pups, at least one mastiff in the ancestry threw a dane somewhere.

**Edit**
I'd like to add: lol @ "oodles of '-doodles'"

Not exactly.
Danes were not "bred down" from mastiffs - at least not from the dogs we call mastiffs today. The common ancester of all danes, mastiffs, boxers, and many other guardian breeds was a mastiff-like dog called the mollosser that I think was brought to Europe by the Alans around 400AD. A dog that later emerged from the mollosers was the bullenbeisser that could also be a common ancestor to modern Danes.

Also don't forget, "mastiff" itself does not denote a "breed" rather a type of dog like a lab or golden is a "retriever". There are tibetan mastiffs and English mastiffs and dogos and Spanish Alanos and dogues all of which are "mastiff" type dogs.

Mastiff (English I believe) were added to the gene pool of the dog we now know as a Great Dane, as were sighthounds, Irish Wolfhounds, Pointers and I've also heard Dalmatians.
600 years ago there were many "types" of dogs, though not breeds necessarily in the sense that they bred true. There were sighthounds in Egypt, big hairy mastiffy dogs in Tibet, and smaller dogs (bred for meat) in China. Along with wolf type dogs in Siberia and North America.
I don't know that there is scholarly evidence of it, but I woudn't doubt that even 600 years ago dog people were already selecting for certain traits - especially guarding, hunting and even herding insticts. That's why today to ask a Dane or Boxer to herd sheep is a pretty tall order. Not just physically, but because the instinct is simply not there, yet both will show guarding instincts quite readily.

Mr. Walnuts
10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info, that makes perfect sense. I was abolutely not supporting or advocating this 'Goliath' breeding... just trying to make sense of the Mastiff thing just out of curiosity; but it being a parent breed or breed family (like a retriever) clears it up. Really good info.

ouesi
10-13-2010, 01:09 PM
I left out too that danes already ARE technically a mastiff - the German mastiff (deutche dogge). Just as a dogue de bordeaux (of Turner and Hooch fame) is a French mastiff... Clear as mud huh? :)

Mr. Walnuts
10-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Actually it makes perfect sense. I was using the assumption that they were now being bred with one of their common ancestors that is also its own breed... and THAT is what didn't make sense to me; the being a breed while simultaneously being a common ancester didn't make sense. What you're saying makes perfect sense.

If I understand you correctly though, what the OP encountered was someone that had bred a dane with a sister-breed in the mastiff family, correct?

maggiemay98
10-13-2010, 01:40 PM
If I understand you correctly though, what the OP encountered was someone that had bred a dane with a sister-breed in the mastiff family, correct?

Yes, although unlike 200, 500, or 1000 years ago, these yahoos now mix recognized breeds for profit alone, not to create a dog suited for a specific purpose. It made sense way back then to mix a Mastiff type dog with a sighthound to get a dog that was both fast and strong for hunting large game, or to mix bulldogs with terriers to get a strong dog with attitude for (ick!) fighting. I'm not quite sure what purpose a yorkiepoo, schnoodle, puggle, *insert stupid name here* serves other than to make the "breeder" a buck.

bringmetoast
10-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Don't even worry about people and their "giant" dogs. Everyone wants to be better than everyone else and it's just annoying.

If you ever see them again and they start getting on about Andross just ask them what they are over compensating for by having their "goliath" danes. It should work nicely since they are, in fact, men. And ask them if they drive super-charged monster trucks too, because you are NOT impressed.....rolleyes.....Hahaha....

Mr. Walnuts
10-13-2010, 01:47 PM
I agree, if we are to keep the breeds pure... they need to remain at their lowest echelon of possible variation (breed), anything else just convolutes the breeds and is counterproductive.

ouesi
10-13-2010, 02:06 PM

As I read the OP, she encountered a daneXmastiff - I'm assuming English Mastiff since as far as I know all other mastiffs are referred to by their qualifiers or alternate names (neo for neopolitan mastiff, fila for Brazilian Mastiff...)

Of course Andross's mom could have had a lot of fun and told the "goliath dane" people that Andross is actually a Great DaneXGerman Mastiff (which he is) and watch them try to figure that one out. Tee hee.

Lacey
10-13-2010, 02:28 PM
As I read the OP, she encountered a daneXmastiff - I'm assuming English Mastiff since as far as I know all other mastiffs are referred to by their qualifiers or alternate names (neo for neopolitan mastiff, fila for Brazilian Mastiff...)

Of course Andross's mom could have had a lot of fun and told the "goliath dane" people that Andross is actually a Great DaneXGerman Mastiff (which he is) and watch them try to figure that one out. Tee hee.

Sorry if I wasn't clear because I myself refer to our old english mastiff as just a mastiff. The guys said the father was just like our boy (oxford) and the mom was a dane. They basically have a slightly thinner frame than our mastiff but the legs look long like a dane but thick boned like a mastiff. Not super tall though. I want to say they look close to a european dane but very poorly put together if you actually put a nice looking euro next to one of them. The dogs heads reminded me and looked more like an american bull dogs head.

ouesi
10-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear because I myself refer to our old english mastiff as just a mastiff. The guys said the father was just like our boy (oxford) and the mom was a dane. They basically have a slightly thinner frame than our mastiff but the legs look long like a dane but thick boned like a mastiff. Not super tall though. I want to say they look close to a european dane but very poorly put together if you actually put a nice looking euro next to one of them. The dogs heads reminded me and looked more like an american bull dogs head.
Oh no! I didn't think you were unclear at all. When I hear "mastiff" I assume it to mean "English mastiff" also. I was just trying to clarify that not all mastiffs are English mastiffs :)

Coeur d' Alene Danes
10-14-2010, 10:40 AM
So I was at the park the othere night and met two guys who both owned full grown "Goliath great danes." :mad: They noticed andross was a dane and came over right away to talk to me. First they are nice about andross but as the time passes the start commenting on how "small" he is. Mind you andross is actually taller than one of the GGDs and the same height as the othere. so it went on blah blah blah goliath great danes are better blah blah. I was trying to keep my cool obviously they were undereducated and bought from a BYB unknowingly probably i didn't know really. I really was trying not to care about the whole bigger is better convo. Then one said that both GGDs were over 4,500$ I said wait are you sure they are not European great danes?? they replied nope they are Goliath great danes one of the most expensive dogs to own. Finally I asked...What is a Goliath Great dane???? he said its a mastiff mixed with a great dane:eek: I don't know why i just must be a really tactless person but the next sentence i said came flying out of my mouth so quick i didn't have time to stop myself.

I replied. "Wow so you bought yourselves some very expesnive mutts!" (ya im evil) I then said sorry but the man went on to tell me that they are not mutts there Goliath danes. blah blah. I ended the playdate with "has anyone told you that when you mix two different breeds together they are not a new breed?" then i just left because you know I really don't like trying to bring out a negative down fall in another dog because they seemed like great dogs. its just the owner was a bit uneducated.

So anyone else heard of a Goliath dane???

One last story...

Sorry one more thing that has nothing to do with this. When i was at the vet with andross the othere day one of the vet techs made fun of his size she really pissed me off!!:mad: I told her he is perfect she replied with "don't you think he would be so much cooler if he was one of those really tall danes?"butthead1 it kind of made me sad and mad because i always thought andross was a pretty cool dog anyways. My poor boy at least he doesn't get what they were saying. Sorry that was so random but i needed to vent about that.

That's okay. You can vent. I know its irritating. One of my pet peeves is with vet techs that seem to have no idea about any breeds. I was with my friend in the vets office the other day. He had brought in his Leonburger and I had my harlequin Great Dane and one of the vet techs came out and said "oh your dogs are so beautiful. Are you going to breed the two?". I wanted to be sarcastic and say "yeah. We are going to call them Great Burgers". LOL. But I just said "no they are two different breeds". Sometimes you just have to shake your head and roll your eyes and walk on .....

DaneFolly
10-14-2010, 11:01 AM
"yeah. We are going to call them Great Burgers". LOL.

roflmao

Mirababy
10-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Not meaning to hijack Lacy's thread, but after seeing the thread for Daniffs and now this one where breeders are purposely breeding Mastiffs or other breeds with Danes to "make another breed", and seeing Coeur d' Alene's response about the Great Burgers (hilarious by the way!) I had to reply.
I have made fun of Mira because of her parentage, Dane x Saint, and we have come up with some silly names for her. When someone asks me what she is I tell them, and she that was a mistake and a mutt. But I know there are people out there that breed the two together on purpose and call them St. Danes.
The names we've (my family) come up with are Great Saint and Danard lol.
But I would never brag about the mix , or spend CRAZY amounts of money for a MUTT LOL.
Lacy don't even think twice about those guys, what a joke on them....... roflmao

orscrubs
10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx106/orscrubs1/IMG_0323.jpg

A friend of mine who works at a hospital in San Diego sent me this photo a couple of months back....he said the owner told him it was a
Great Dane/Mastiff mix. Poor dog looks like he has a hard time carrying all his weight around. :(

intensgrl
10-14-2010, 12:27 PM
roflmaoHe looks like I feel after a long week-end of eating and drinking bad things, Poor guy, he appears to have inherited the worst traits of both breeds. Reminds me of when two beautiful actors/super model types get together and you see their kids, and UGH!?! For some reason breeding a dane and a mastiff seems to me like breeding a frog to a toad. It is easy to see the similarities, but in reality they are completely different.

Kana
10-14-2010, 01:20 PM

A friend of mine who works at a hospital in San Diego sent me this photo a couple of months back....he said the owner told him it was a
Great Dane/Mastiff mix. Poor dog looks like he has a hard time carrying all his weight around. :(

Oh no.........that poor thing!!

DaneFolly
10-14-2010, 01:34 PM

Mix or no mix - that dog is hugely overweight. I guess giant breeds don't have short enough lifespans, let's make it worse by grossly overfeeding him! That actually upsets me more than buying a "designer" dog to start with.

mkueper
10-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Not meaning to hijack Lacy's thread, but after seeing the thread for Daniffs and now this one where breeders are purposely breeding Mastiffs or other breeds with Danes to "make another breed", and seeing Coeur d' Alene's response about the Great Burgers (hilarious by the way!) I had to reply.
I have made fun of Mira because of her parentage, Dane x Saint, and we have come up with some silly names for her. When someone asks me what she is I tell them, and she that was a mistake and a mutt. But I know there are people out there that breed the two together on purpose and call them St. Danes.
The names we've (my family) come up with are Great Saint and Danard lol.
But I would never brag about the mix , or spend CRAZY amounts of money for a MUTT LOL.
Lacy don't even think twice about those guys, what a joke on them....... roflmao

I also have a dane/st. bernard cross and would love to compare pictures.I have never heard of anyone else having the cross.

Lacey
10-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Mirababy and mkueper,

Did you guys know that just like goliath/gladiator dane thing. People are breeding "Bernadanes". They are actually trying to make bernadanes a real breed of their own. Don't get me wrong I love danes and saints (obviously haha I have pics of both of mine in my album.) And I would gladly take in a bernadane but I don't like the fact that these people are pushing so hard to become a breed. I am very interested in seeing pics of both of your saint danes. I have never seen one in person. I've seen some pics on the bernadane websites.

mkueper
10-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Misty was an accident from a friends purebred Saint that was in a 6 ft privacy fence and the people's down the roads purebred brindle dane that jumped the fence when she let her Saint out.Misty looks more like a lab cross with dane legs,toes and chest.But she is all dane in actions.She is one of the best dogs I have ever owned.

http://www.dolforum.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1032&pictureid=7623

http://www.dolforum.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1032&pictureid=7614

http://www.dolforum.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1032&pictureid=7949

I don't really have a good picture of her,I will try to get a better one tomorrow.She is just barely on the scales size wise for a small female dane,29" and 110lbs.

Mirababy
10-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Hi Lacy,

I didn't know they were trying to make the dane/saint cross a breed, but did know some breed them on purpose, (like the goldendoodle), as a 'designer breed'.
I too love both breeds, and would love to own a purebred of either/both at some time down the line. Andross and Bernie are both beautiful by the way :)
I love Mira and wouldn't trade her for the world, but I didn't intentially go out looking for her specific mix, I was grieving my shepherd Poet's passing and saw the 'breeder's' ad and was curious what they would look like.......the rest is history.
Check out my album for pics of her, I don't have any recent ones past eight months yet, she's almost a year old, 11 days till her birfday :).

mkueper,

Your girl is very pretty, she looks a bit lab like in the one profile pic.
Mira's coat is very similar to hers, smooth but thicker than a danes, I can ruffle it a bit her head/neck area feels like a chenelle (sp) blanket when I pet her, she's really soft.
I think Mira got more Dane traits than Saint (she acts dane like too, zoomies, whoo woooing, leaning, sweet, loves kids and most people she meets, but protective, in a good way, nothing agressive).
I can see the Saint in her, her legs are thicker and her neck has a bit more skin and isn't as long as a Dane's, her ear set is Saint like, but her head/body shape is mostly Dane.
She doesn't have that much lip considering both breeds can have tons, her dad does, and her coloring......she had blue eyes until she was about 5 months and she has a dark grey nose, but she has brindling coming through her grey color.
She's unique, but I wouldn't perpetuate breeding the two breeds together because they sometimes make pretty puppies, and then call them a "breed".
Like the above picture of the Mastiff/Dane mix, sometimes the two produce a really weird looking dog, with lots of health problems. If that dog doesn't have issues it looks like it will sooner or later....

BigLittleSmall
10-15-2010, 09:15 AM

Jesus H Christ .. that dog is gargantuan. I bet their car squats down when he gets in. He needs on a diet bad. The back end of that dog is as big as a voltswagon beetle thumbdownthumbdown

mkueper
10-15-2010, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=Mirababy

mkueper,

Your girl is very pretty, she looks a bit lab like in the one profile pic.
Mira's coat is very similar to hers, smooth but thicker than a danes, I can ruffle it a bit her head/neck area feels like a chenelle (sp) blanket when I pet her, she's really soft.
I think Mira got more Dane traits than Saint (she acts dane like too, zoomies, whoo woooing, leaning, sweet, loves kids and most people she meets, but protective, in a good way, nothing agressive).
I can see the Saint in her, her legs are thicker and her neck has a bit more skin and isn't as long as a Dane's, her ear set is Saint like, but her head/body shape is mostly Dane.
She doesn't have that much lip considering both breeds can have tons, her dad does, and her coloring......she had blue eyes until she was about 5 months and she has a dark grey nose, but she has brindling coming through her grey color.
She's unique, but I wouldn't perpetuate breeding the two breeds together because they sometimes make pretty puppies, and then call them a "breed".
Like the above picture of the Mastiff/Dane mix, sometimes the two produce a really weird looking dog, with lots of health problems. If that dog doesn't have issues it looks like it will sooner or later....[/QUOTE]

I love her coloring. the second picture of Mira looks just like Misty's head.Misty loves zoomies and she leans horribly also and she has the best temperment of any dog I have ever seen,my 1 yr old nephew crawls all over her.And your discription of you dog pretty much matches mine even down to the extra skin and hair around the neck.Thank you for sharing.Glad to know there is another Misty out there just hope they don't become popular,I think ours girls are pretty special,but I wish people would not mess with the breeds I understand accidents happen but trying to make your own breed is just stupid but eveybody is after the all mighty dollar.

sgtbekka
10-15-2010, 12:20 PM
It seems to me that most stupid and rude remarks do come from uneducated people ! Especially with regards to wonderful creatures like Great Danes.

The Boysyay

Lacey
10-15-2010, 12:50 PM
It seems to me that most stupid and rude remarks do come from uneducated people ! Especially with regards to wonderful creatures like Great Danes.

The Boysyay

Thank you and yes andross's size is good enough for me. He hit a huge wall a few months back with his growth. It seems like he hit 9 months and BAM he really really slowed down. Right now he my average measurement for him is somewhere between 33.5" and 34" he just doesn't look HUGE because he has a thinner bitchier frame. His rib cage actually kind of makes his legs look short lately. But he's also coming off of an unknown illness that really did a number on his weight. But we're getting back on track. He is currently 12 months old.

Mr. Walnuts
10-15-2010, 01:00 PM
he just doesn't look HUGE because he has a thinner bitchier frame.

I get that too.. I'm no show dog, but I get by. lol

but seriously, its much more important that he's happy and healthy; rather than humongous and arthritic. He's great exactly the way he is.
btw... I absolutely <3 action photos like that

Lacey
10-15-2010, 01:30 PM
I get that too.. I'm no show dog, but I get by. lol

but seriously, its much more important that he's happy and healthy; rather than humongous and arthritic. He's great exactly the way he is.
btw... I absolutely <3 action photos like that

roflmao thank you. That was Andross at like 5 or 6 months old I think. It's still his best picture ever.

Mr. Walnuts
10-15-2010, 01:32 PM
My pups don't like to sit still for photos anyway... but i guess its good I enjoy the emotion and excitement reflected in shots like that. They're definitely my fav; like the Photo of Duke (my Lab) in my signature with his Stick... he looks so happy... just like Andross running and playing in YOUR sig.

Funnyman Rocco
10-16-2010, 10:43 AM

I'm sorry... but WHY would you WANT that? Aside from being ugly looking it looks like it's going to have so many joint problems with all that meat.

Funnyman Rocco
10-16-2010, 10:51 AM

Had to comment on the size thing... Rocco is going to t be two in February and he's not really a big Dane. I haven't measured him since probably March and he has grown an inch maybe two wince then. Last time I measured he was 34in at the shoulder and rather scrawny looking. He's filled out a TON since then.

On one of the streets near me a family own two very, very tall Danes but they are UGLY as sin. They're harlequins with flying nun ears (these things stick straight out, uncropped) very saggy eyes, and their bodies just don't look "right". Every time they see Rocco they go "gorgeous dog! he's beautiful but he's just too small." I'm sorry I'd rather take my pretty, "small" Dane that people recognize as a Dane because of his structure than an ugly tall Dane that people only know as a Dane because he's tall. I hate comments like that & just ignore them. I think my dog is gorgeous, Andross is too and I'd rather have my pretty, well-behaved, sweet boy than the height that people go for.

Lacey
10-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Had to comment on the size thing... Rocco is going to t be two in February and he's not really a big Dane. I haven't measured him since probably March and he has grown an inch maybe two wince then. Last time I measured he was 34in at the shoulder and rather scrawny looking. He's filled out a TON since then.

On one of the streets near me a family own two very, very tall Danes but they are UGLY as sin. They're harlequins with flying nun ears (these things stick straight out, uncropped) very saggy eyes, and their bodies just don't look "right". Every time they see Rocco they go "gorgeous dog! he's beautiful but he's just too small." I'm sorry I'd rather take my pretty, "small" Dane that people recognize as a Dane because of his structure than an ugly tall Dane that people only know as a Dane because he's tall. I hate comments like that & just ignore them. I think my dog is gorgeous, Andross is too and I'd rather have my pretty, well-behaved, sweet boy than the height that people go for.

Wow its been awhile since I have heard about rocco! He is gorgeous as always. And wow he has grown because if I remember correctly he was a "small" dane but if he's 34" now I think he is perfect. I always have to tell everyone who tells me andross is short that if you look on the great dane club of america's site they say average height for a fully mature male dane is 34".so I trust that's right! Ya andross and rocco are no 38" danes but your right they both are super beatiful. My friends merle is a 40" and we walk them together and ya andross gets the "why is he so much smaller than storm" comments but people always tell me when I'm walking by myself that andross is better looking hahahaha. And honestly he is much better put together than the really tall danes.

Any chance we might get to see new pics of rocco??? Is markings are soooo unbelievable.

Meatos
10-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Dios mio. Now there's a sight to behold! Poor thing has to wear booties in order to be able to support his own weight on the slippery floor. What an absolute train wreck. Makes me sooo sad for that dog!! :(

Funnyman Rocco
10-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Wow its been awhile since I have heard about rocco! He is gorgeous as always. And wow he has grown because if I remember correctly he was a "small" dane but if he's 34" now I think he is perfect. I always have to tell everyone who tells me andross is short that if you look on the great dane club of america's site they say average height for a fully mature male dane is 34".so I trust that's right! Ya andross and rocco are no 38" danes but your right they both are super beatiful. My friends merle is a 40" and we walk them together and ya andross gets the "why is he so much smaller than storm" comments but people always tell me when I'm walking by myself that andross is better looking hahahaha. And honestly he is much better put together than the really tall danes.

Any chance we might get to see new pics of rocco??? Is markings are soooo unbelievable.

I was thinking about it today! I have a ton of pics so I'll see what I last posted and put some up :)

And Rocco still isn't big. He gets his rabies next month so we will see what he weighs! But like I said, I'm happy with him and he looks like A Dane. Girly, but still obviously a Dane.

danesgirl
10-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Just want to jump in here and add that my boy is 32" square. He was the runt of the litter and stayed small. He is 2 years old and on the slim side. We call him our teacup dane. So please feel free to use that to your Goliath people. Your dog is a teacup. Our guy is the perfect size for us. I've had much bigger danes and I am hoping that his small size works in our favor for health reasons. It's easier to walk him. I can use one hand on his leash when any kind of nonsense occurs. He's really easier than the larger danes I've owned and still I have the wonder and joy of a dane.