PDA

View Full Version : Why do they lean?????

RustyNail
10-13-2010, 01:27 PM
I have only had Danes for two years but have been around them for decades. All of the Danes I have ever been exposed to would lean on me at one time or another. When I engage one of my girls in play the other will always get between us and then lean on me--its as though she is trying to push me or something! I just cant figure this out but this is not a problem because I know this is what they do and love it--I just dont know why they do it!roflmao

s5nelson
10-13-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't know but Moose & I are working on the whole "leaning" thing. I'm trying to teach him that leaning against walls & furniture is ok (and yes he does rearrange furniture when he does this) but against me is not ok because I fall over.

I think he does it on purpose roflmao

RustyNail
10-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Yes--He does do this on purpose! They all do it. I just can't figure out why they do it!roflmao

Meatos
10-13-2010, 01:43 PM
They do it because...why not?! :)

regularkevin
10-13-2010, 01:45 PM
They love you/ are comfortable with you.

Affection.

Shamu
10-13-2010, 01:51 PM
maybe because they CAN? because of their size, it is pretty comfortable for them :)

Mr. Walnuts
10-13-2010, 01:54 PM
I would probably lean too if I had all that weight on little bitty pads... I can't imagine what the abnormally large danes go through with feet problems (not to mention bone/hip) problems.

RustyNail
10-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I would probably lean too if I had all that weight on little bitty pads... I can't imagine what the abnormally large danes go through with feet problems (not to mention bone/hip) problems.

You do have that weight--Do you lean on people??

Mr. Walnuts
10-13-2010, 02:14 PM
haha... I do have that weight, but I have big feet... and no, I try not to lean on people haha

kimogilvie
10-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Just to make sure you know they're there? It's a Dane thing, and I love it, but I'me also curious as to the why.

maggiemay98
10-13-2010, 02:33 PM
haha... I do have that weight, but I have big feet... and no, I try not to lean on people haha

That's exactly it. For our Danes it's socially acceptable, they can get away with it. If you try to lean on a co-worker or a complete stranger, you're gonna get hit or sued!

sydney
10-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Macy leans when she wants pets and attention. If there are a group of people standing, she will weave among them like a cat leaning on each one as she goes past. Stopping if they pet her, then continuing to the next.

RustyNail
10-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I guess thats a pretty good reason--"attention seeking". It would explain why one dog gets between me and the one I'm paying attention to.

CalicoJenn
10-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Our last trainer said it was a dominance thing... we quit using her after she made a snide comment in regards to our pit mix, that she would never own anything with pit in it, so no accounting for accuracy.

mistified247
10-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Our last trainer said it was a dominance thing... we quit using her after she made a snide comment in regards to our pit mix, that she would never own anything with pit in it, so no accounting for accuracy.

I will admit that I don't know why they do it either but I think that statement is DPoop ! I can understand why you stopped using her.

RustyNail
10-13-2010, 04:23 PM
NO . . . I'm not sure why they lean but i dont think it is anything negative.

luvmygurl
10-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Lazy, lazy, LAZY!

DANEger
10-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Because deep down, we all love it! Who doesn't PET their dane when they lean...we give them positve reinforcement to do it! roflmao

duke'sdad
10-13-2010, 04:49 PM
I have never had a Dane that did not lean. We have noted over the years that they tend to do this when they want attention. They don't lean on people they don't like. To me it's like a hug

CalicoJenn
10-13-2010, 05:18 PM
I will admit that I don't know why they do it either but I think that statement is DPoop ! I can understand why you stopped using her.

Yeah we thought it was DPoop too. Doesn't even make business sense, if you want to keep your clients, don't insult their dog. that said i love the leans and we have never discouraged them.. just another excuse for me to hug them :)

Enhanced
10-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Yeah we thought it was DPoop too. Doesn't even make business sense, if you want to keep your clients, don't insult their dog. that said i love the leans and we have never discouraged them.. just another excuse for me to hug them :)

It was wrong for the trainer to be so insensitive about your pit mix, however do not dismiss the reasoning that leaning can be associated with dominance. Leaning by most accounts in Danes is harmless (unless you are small and unsuspecting) but it has been seen in many breeds as a way of expressing or imposing dominance. Leaning can be interpreted as a form of body posturing, posture in the canine world is a way to express dominance or submission.

CalicoJenn
10-13-2010, 06:04 PM
It was wrong for the trainer to be so insensitive about your pit mix, however do not dismiss the reasoning that leaning can be associated with dominance. Leaning by most accounts in Danes is harmless (unless you are small and unsuspecting) but it has been seen in many breeds as a way of expressing or imposing dominance. Leaning can be interpreted as a form of body posturing, posture in the canine world is a way to express dominance or submission.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am not discounting the idea of a domaniant lean at all, but i haven't seen that body language present with the dane. The dominance based leans i have seen from other dogs are much different, Stiff legs, tail and head high.. they basically thrust their bodies sideways against the other dog or person, as compared to the loose, lower tail relaxed head posture of the danes when i have seen them do it.

Enhanced
10-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Ah I misunderstood. :) By the way I think mixed dogs rule! Just don't tell my Dane! ;)

CalicoJenn
10-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Ah I misunderstood. :) By the way I think mixed dogs rule! Just don't tell my Dane! ;)

Oh I LOVE my Dane more than any other breed i have ever owned, and will have purebred Danes for the rest of my life, But there will always be at least one shelter mutt taking up the sofa with them :) Right now we have one dane, one lab/pit, and one 25lb lab/beagle/only heaven knows. The dane taught the lab/pit to lean on us for butt scratches.

Charlene
10-13-2010, 06:26 PM
ashley and bentley are big time leaners. pea has only recently figured out this leaning thing. i wonder if she saw the other dogs do it and decided she should. sometimes, i get leaned on from 3 directions all at the same time. Hug3

CalicoJenn
10-13-2010, 06:40 PM
ashley and bentley are big time leaners. pea has only recently figured out this leaning thing. i wonder if she saw the other dogs do it and decided she should. sometimes, i get leaned on from 3 directions all at the same time. Hug3

That sounds like heaven!

Enhanced
10-13-2010, 06:41 PM
A person could never be lonely with a Dane in the house.

RustyNail
10-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Because deep down, we all love it! Who doesn't PET their dane when they lean...we give them positve reinforcement to do it! roflmao

I think you nailed it--I do give positive reinforcement by petting and paying attention when they do this.

BlueCollarBelle
10-13-2010, 06:49 PM
I like to think of it as a hug. Definitely a show of affection. Interestingly, Belle did not lean at all the first 2 months we had her. As she settled in and learned that we were "her people" she began to lean. Now, she does it all the time and now Bingo does it too! <3 it!

BigLittleSmall
10-13-2010, 06:50 PM
I have only had Danes for two years but have been around them for decades. All of the Danes I have ever been exposed to would lean on me at one time or another. When I engage one of my girls in play the other will always get between us and then lean on me--its as though she is trying to push me or something! I just cant figure this out but this is not a problem because I know this is what they do and love it--I just dont know why they do it!roflmao

I have no idea why they do it .. but I like it. It makes me feel needed, and perhaps wanted.

Have you ever been to the "all about great danes site"? They have a puppy on there that looks JUST like your puppy lol
http://www.all-about-great-danes.com/blue-great-danes.html

P.S. Dobies are leaners too.

Greenmagick
10-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Most of the gian breeds I have been around lean...and you can tell its not at all a pushy dominanat behavior for most, its a cuddle and snuggle. My saint was a huge leaner....ivy is too, she also gives hugs where she puts her head on your shoulder and then just goes dead weight lol.

valkarye
10-13-2010, 07:08 PM
When mine leans, she gets a huge hug back, and I can feel her relax. in fact, after I had a particularly bad day, and we went to cdc class - it was awful becasue she reads me so well. I took a moment, went to a quiet area and just sat down on the floor. My lap was full of dog, and I hugged her, and we finished up class with a complete different attitiude. I know I was the one off, but didn't expect the outcome to be so drastically different. Neither did the trainer.

intensgrl
10-13-2010, 08:21 PM
I have been thinking about this too. I surmise that Reich leans when he needs a boost of security/safety. It is like a child running to his mom and peeking from behind her skirt. That is the feeling I get from 9 month old Reich. My last dane leaned too, and he was full grown when we got him. I felt it was a security thing, as well as a protective thing. What ever the reason, it is wonderfully dane like.

Ximmy's Mom
10-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I think Xim leans when she is bored or unsure. Like in class, when we are standing in line watching the instructor show us the next move, she sits, puts one foot on top of my foot and leans against me.

Meatos
10-13-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't think leaning is dominance at all. And anyone who does think this is missing out on some awesome loving. So put away your "dominance-coloured eyeglasses" and enjoy those leans!!

jeann1230
10-13-2010, 11:44 PM
I think leaning is just enjoying body contact, they cannot sit on us (even so they do try that too), and so they lean to get the physical closeness.

And don't worry, if you have one Dane leaning on you bringing you out of balance, just get a second one for the other side to lean on and you right back standing upright ;)

Swee
10-14-2010, 03:15 AM
I agree with most here. I love Sadie's leans. She is just telling me that she loves me while checking in and making sure I'm/She is secure. I also believe it is a protective thing too. It's just an overall "Hey mum, you ok? Good, because I need a hug too!" I love the lean. I do feel like a mom of a preschooler that needs to make sure I'm still there.

Charlene
10-14-2010, 03:27 AM
they cannot sit on us

ashley never got THAT memo!! roflmao

NavyWife
10-14-2010, 04:32 AM

Ditto

reynosa_k9's
10-14-2010, 05:53 AM
....And don't worry, if you have one Dane leaning on you bringing you out of balance, just get a second one for the other side to lean on and you right back standing upright ;)

I love Yeti's lean, it's most like a hug from him. I cannot wait for Guinevere to get her weight up to counter-balance Yeti. The two are perfect for that since Yeti always stands on my left and Guinevere stays to my right. Guini tries to lean now but since she isn't quite able to hold her head up for long yet, and is still such a fly-weight it really doesn't count as a real 'Dane lean', yet.
Yup, I love love love my Dane leans. It's my daily dose of hugs and lovin'. :D

BigLittleSmall
10-14-2010, 07:16 AM
And don't worry, if you have one Dane leaning on you bringing you out of balance, just get a second one for the other side to lean on and you right back standing upright
So, what if mine don't realize one is supposed to be on each side?

They tend to wanna lean at the same time on the same side lol. Sometimes one will lean on the other and then lean on me haha.

RustyNail
10-14-2010, 12:56 PM
When mine leans, she gets a huge hug back, and I can feel her relax. in fact, after I had a particularly bad day, and we went to cdc class - it was awful becasue she reads me so well. I took a moment, went to a quiet area and just sat down on the floor. My lap was full of dog, and I hugged her, and we finished up class with a complete different attitiude. I know I was the one off, but didn't expect the outcome to be so drastically different. Neither did the trainer.

This just goes to show that post count isn't everything. There is some real wisom in this post--thanks!yay

Zagari
10-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Kaiser is a huge leaner. I'll be honest and say that I absolutely love it. I don't think he means anything by it. It's just for attention and love.

Enhanced
10-14-2010, 08:17 PM

Just to clarify: I wasn't saying that all leaning was dominance. I thought it was important to mention a possibility of the leaning behavior being more then a dog just wanting affection. The subject has been very much discussed and there is a great deal of literature discussing the many aspects and opinions on the behavior. Dominance in a 100 plus pound dog is no joke and I felt it might be beneficial to share something that I had read, just in case someone reading this thread had a dog doing it for less then innocent reasons. Sorry if I sounded like a party pooper I didn't mean any harm. :)

jeann1230
10-14-2010, 11:57 PM
So, what if mine don't realize one is supposed to be on each side?

They tend to wanna lean at the same time on the same side lol. Sometimes one will lean on the other and then lean on me haha.

Well, there is an easy solution to that, you just need TWO more for the other side roflmao
after all we all should be well balanced......

BigLittleSmall
10-15-2010, 06:58 AM
That might work .. but then I'd probably have to find all 5 of us a place to live .. after my BF kicked me out for bringing home 2 more dogs haha (not really, I'm pretty sure he'd put up with it lol, maybe ha).