PDA

View Full Version : Yes, Jowls, but why?

crdane
12-05-2010, 08:32 AM
My husband and I bathed and did nails on the dogs this morning and he asked me why danes have jowls. I said I thought it was from the mastiff in them. He said, yea but why do mastiffs or danes have jowls? I don't know the answer, but I am assuming they serve some purpose when hunting or such. Does anyone know the right answer?

misszeke
12-05-2010, 09:07 AM
I've always heard hunting dogs that rely on a sense of smell have big slobbery jowels to trap scents near their nose and heighten their sense of smell. At least I know that's the case with bloodhounds. Since GDs were originally bred to hunt boar it's the same idea??

That's just my random theory tho!

mistified247
12-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I have no answer but this is an interesting question.

isdapous
12-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Seems like they are perfect for smooches to me.

Amglover
12-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know the right answer?

So I can bite them and kiss them!

Actually jowls help funnel scents to the vomeronasal organ (VNO), or Jacobson's organ - it detects pheromones (amongst other things) and is sort of half way between smell and taste.

HarlequinHorror
12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
The helping smell thing makes sense, but every website I've seen with pictures or paintings of danes of the past or dane predecesors seem to have much less jowls than the danes of today?? I always thought it was an aesthetic thing, just how they were bred or something?

crdane
12-06-2010, 01:19 PM
It is curious because Reilly, my IW, is much more scent oriented then Carlie, who has the big jowls. I know that an IW is SUPPOSED to be a sight hound, but let me tell you his scent tracking is where it is at.

silentskream
12-06-2010, 01:25 PM
I would imagine its a combination of the smell issue and also because the mastiff was a war dog and therefore had extra loose skin like jowls to deflect injury from vital parts.

Amglover
12-07-2010, 04:54 AM
It is curious because Reilly, my IW, is much more scent oriented then Carlie, who has the big jowls. I know that an IW is SUPPOSED to be a sight hound, but let me tell you his scent tracking is where it is at.

Ah but Reilly has much longer hair then my pretty Carlie.....

crdane
12-07-2010, 04:59 AM
Ah but Reilly has much longer hair then my pretty Carlie.....
True. You know how sniffy he is!! Our new trainer is mad in love with Carlie, so you have some competition.

Amglover
12-07-2010, 07:55 AM
True. You know how sniffy he is!! Our new trainer is mad in love with Carlie, so you have some competition.

As if they have a chance!!!

reynosa_k9's
12-07-2010, 08:00 AM
I'm with Amglover and isdapous here. GD jowls were created for my amusement and pleasure. I love to flap them around so that Yeti makes slobber mouth noises. I love to stretch them out to create funny faces on my GD's. Most of all I love the soft and velvety feel of them.
I love my GD's jowls. lol

But seriously, very interesting question. Although I do not know, I would assume it does have to do with scent tracking. Am interested in seeing more responses here.

astinleigh
12-08-2010, 10:20 PM
I also <3 Jowls.

roflmao

dogtag
12-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Biggest Jowls I've ever seen on a dog.
Goo Boy has um.

Any bigger, I'd have to attach training wheels.
Since his surgery, he has been promoted to inside dog and spends most of his time slobbering on counter tops and baby gates.
Everything seems to have this half dried sticky goo on it.....hence the name.

We still love him, though....

Dogtag

zipsmom
12-12-2010, 11:20 AM
The bigger the jowls the more of the walls, furniture and new flat screen TV can be covered with Dane slobber!! Isn't it obvious?