DOL Great Dane Forum  

Go Back   DOL Great Dane Forum > Any Breed Other Than Danes Forums > Topics Specific To Breeds Other Than Danes Forum

DOL Home Photos Show Danes Conformation Height & Weight Vet Terms DOL Facebook DOL Facebook Group In Memory

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 03:36 PM
"The Boys" Mom
Has no status.

My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiabull View Post
There was an add on the Minneapolis Kijiji site for Mini Great Danes. It's actually a cross of dane and doberman. They want $150 for the blacks and $350 for the harlequins. Whats next?!? =(
Ok this was probably an accidental breeding (or I'm hoping and giving them the benefit of the doubt just to make myself feel better about the state of the country) BUT if you have buyers who are dumb enough to buy a "mini" harlequin dane, as a seller you could probably just pawn off some puppy dalmations or black labs as mini danes. Then at least you could call them mini danes and guarentee that they actually will be smaller and black or black and white.
Yet again...People Suck
Andre ~5/2006
Bob the cat
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2009, 05:14 PM
shawnzy
Has no status.

My Mood: Cheerful

In the SLC ad's, there's a RARE EXOTIC Pitbull for sale. First in Utah...He's a merle. I forgot how much they're asking but they say that it's a pitbull x catahula (sp) mix. It's the "new exotic pitbull of Utah"...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Harlequin Dane
Whew, dog show over, now Bark in the Park event ...

I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Inspired

Unfortunately, there always seem to be those that are doing various mixes and coming up with a designer name in order to sell them for more $$ -- danerman or doberdane (dane/dobe), rotterdane (dane/rott) and dane/mastiff I have seen multiple catch names
GOPDC - Public Education Coordinator
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 PM
tender's mom
Has no status.

My Mood: Amused

If a great dane is miniaturized for breed hybrid, is it called a "slightly above average" dane?

Megan & Tender. Tender- get it? Like Love Me Tender. I'm an Elvis freak. And I think it's funny that my dog's name is an adjective to describe meat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 PM
JLBG
Has no status.

People who breed these dogs make me sick, but worse than them are the people buying them. Do they think they are getting something special because it is "designer"? Do they think they are getting the best of both worlds? I just don't get it. I can't say anything bad about the individual dogs because it isn't their fault and I am sure they can make absolutely wonderful pets but its just ridiculous. I would never buy a mutt, the rescues/shelters are full of the same mixes. But as long as people continue to buy them, people are going to breed them and continue "designing" new breeds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 05:37 AM
Amiabull
Go Pack Go!!! Superbowl XLV Champions!! Woohoo :)
Threadstarter

I just seen another add on the Minneapolis Kijiji looking for a stud for a 1 year old fawn (euro!) great dane on her first heat cycle. Just sickening. They claim Euro but she looks more like a greyhound to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 12:54 PM
bluebeetlemom
Has no status.
I bought Paul a beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDaneBaby View Post
I saw that too - what a jerkoff.

You live close we should have a playdate - I'm in Crystal Lake
Sounds like a great idea!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2009, 11:08 AM
RelicDobes
RelicDobes
Has no status.
Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiabull View Post
I just seen another add on the Minneapolis Kijiji looking for a stud for a 1 year old fawn (euro!) great dane on her first heat cycle. Just sickening. They claim Euro but she looks more like a greyhound to me.

I just saw this ad yesterday and replied to it and told her not to breed THAT dog. I said her dog was not a good breeding candidate and that she should be fixed imidiately.... I haven't heard back from her. I doubt I will, made me sick and I just had to say something. The dog barely even looks like a great dane.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2009, 08:48 PM
empm
Has no status.
Executive Member

Nah. You won't hear back. We got a li'l Rottie from our Vet. They were going to put her to sleep after months of treatment. We call her our 'Teacup Rottie'. What a selling 'catch phrase' that would be. She is byb, has a mild case of mega-e, is obsessed with shadows, and is a digger. We don't care that she has issues, but the original owner signed her over to the vet because he didn't want to deal with the Mega.