DOL Great Dane Forum  

Go Back   DOL Great Dane Forum > Great Danes Forums > Health And Welfare Forum

DOL Home Photos Show Danes Conformation Height & Weight Vet Terms DOL Facebook In Memory

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2005, 02:57 PM
karenbfitz
Has no status.

Default cow hocked puppy

My 9 month old puppy bitch is a little cow hocked. As a young puppy she was perfect. At about 6 months old she bacame cow hocked and was actually crossing over her back legs or interfering on the move. This has greatly improved. She now moves a little close behind and is a little cow hocked. Do you think it will continue to improve. She is fed a high quality low protein kibble and 1,000 mg of vit C every day. She is 33 3/4 ins. to the withers.:f
Reply With Quote top

3 Latest Threads by karenbfitz
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Sore bottom Health And Welfare Forum Carolyn 9 462 02-23-2007 05:53 AM
Dane Show in Austin Tx Showing Great Danes Forum gsxrsean 2 356 01-08-2007 06:48 AM
Development of the second thigh. General Breed Information Only Forum alicat613 1 342 06-28-2006 02:50 AM

Old 08-15-2005, 03:05 PM
MyDaneBaby
Has no status.
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to MyDaneBaby
Default RE: cow hocked puppy

Exercize her on gravel or sand. This is what my breeder recommended & made a big difference in Elliott.
Mitch

In Memory of Gabe. What he lacked in body he made up for in heart.
Click here to see my boys
[http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288799713]
In the Chicagoland area? Click here to inquire about pet sitting & dog training
http://www.knowplacepe
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2005, 04:16 PM
DaneLuvrC
Has no status.

My Mood: Amused

They always go from perfect to flawed to ugly, then back to gorgeous again. I wouldn't worry too much at this age. It's what we call the "puppy uglies". Keep up the low protein and the Vit C!

Home of Int'l CH Mientcat's Cut Above V Saravilla ("Diamond", AKC Major Pointed) & Mientcat's Just Call Me Fred CGC ("Fritz", AKC Pointed)
RIP CH Von Der Danes My T Quinn 1/23/01-4/17/11 & Von Der Danes Classy Chassis 1/21/01-10/1/11
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 07:02 AM
m0mof2
Has no status.

My Mood: Sad

Just remember, not too much exercise...and never forced exercise at this age. No running, sliding on slippery (wood, ceramic, etc) floors where she can't get any traction...or so I was told. I'm not sure if it makes a difference. For what it's worth, my boy was like this from about 6 months old to about 12 months old. Was fine as a puppy and is fine as an adult. Many outgrow it...but some don't. I would ask your breeder on how s/he expects her to mature....

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 10:37 AM
karenbfitz
Has no status.
Threadstarter

Thanks for the help. Her breeder reckons she will come right round about 12 months of age. I am road walking her every 2nd evening. A gentle pace for about 3 miles. Do you think this ok. The other evening I walk my 3 year old dane. I am getting mixed advice on the issue of exercise. Some say walk every night some say don't walk her at all. I have a 1 acre garden which she roams freely all day.:f
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 10:44 AM
CarolB
r
Very committed

I bought Paul a beer!

I think to let her roam your property is what I would do. I don't believe in much exercise until they are mature. I have never had a pup that went cow hocked come back to a good strong rear. Usually mine will mature out to move too close in the rear for what I want but not be cow hocked.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 10:55 AM
karenbfitz
Has no status.
Threadstarter

At the moment she is moving too close behind. At 9 months should it continue to improve, she is yet to settle back down into her angles. My gut feeling is that she will improve more and that I should take it real easy on the exercise. There has been an amazing transformation in her movement in the last 2 months. It was dreadful and yet as a younger puppy her movement was what drew me to her, it was so good.:f
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 11:10 AM
m0mof2
Has no status.

It is best to go with what your breeder feels she will mature with as she is the only one who knows her lines. My boy eventually ended up with just about the same rear he had at 8 weeks old...he was not cow hocked then (or even close) and he isn't now...but he was in between. He never got all the angles back that he had as a pup but he did get some back as he matured.

I'd go with your instinct on the exercise too...every puppy enjoys a walk...but I think 3 miles is a bit much...even at every other day. At this age, we took Andre for 15 minute walks...steady pace...stopping and letting him sniff and potty along the way... and all the romping around in the backyard that he wanted.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 02:34 PM
karenbfitz
Has no status.
Threadstarter

Thanks for your help again. I looked at your website Notredanes. The video was lovely and great to watch such a sound mover. I agree with your advice and will reduce the exercise. I feel, like Andre, she will regain the movement she had as a very young puppy. Also like Andre her front and rear angulation was to die for. I can see her improve by the week but 2 months ago I was really worried. It's very reassuring to hear from people like yourself. Thanks.}(
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 05:14 PM
Devil Dog
Has no status.
Very committed
I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Buzzed
Send a message via AIM to Devil Dog

Did the parents and grand-parents have good rears??
You can improve a bad rear with various treatments..but only as much as genetics will let you.

Dee

Reply With Quote top