DOL Great Dane Forum  

Go Back   DOL Great Dane Forum > Great Danes Forums > Health And Welfare Forum

DOL Home Photos Show Danes Conformation Height & Weight Vet Terms DOL Facebook DOL Facebook Group In Memory

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 AM
jjphoto
Has no status.

Default Groans While Sleeping at Night

We got a 9 1/2 week old puppy on Sunday (10 weeks old today). We took her to the vet on Monday and everything checked out okay. We have her in a crate at night on my side of the bed and she's done great with housetraining.

However, she groans almost the entire night while sleeping when she moves around and changes position. It seems like this is a pretty common Dane thang, but wanted to make sure there wasn't something we could do to alleviate this because she keeps my wife up at night.

The people we got her from had her on El Cheapo puppy food that you get at the local farm store. We have her on Pedigree Large Breed (not puppy) since it's much lower in protein than the puppy food.

Is this just growing pains from her being on that high protein puppy food before we got her? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote top

3 Latest Threads by jjphoto
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Couple of Rescue Policy Questions Great Dane Rescue Forum ilovekbanda 7 554 02-13-2010 08:19 AM
Spay Got Postponed Health And Welfare Forum Paradis 1 355 11-19-2009 10:24 AM
Extreme Fear of Water and Bathing Training and behavior Forum Steeler Jackson 27 1221 08-31-2009 08:08 AM

Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Meatos
says: Bark if you're RABID!
Teaser Bitch
I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Amused
+++ My dogs +++

It's a dane thing...and what a dane thing! She may grow out of it, or she just might be a groaner.

Also...I know you're not looking for advice on food, but Pedigree isn't the best choice of food - tons of filler. If you're able to, you might consider switching. There are lots of great options in the Kibble section.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:55 AM
jjphoto
Has no status.
Threadstarter

Thanks for your reply... I've read a lot about food options when researching Danes, but we live in a very, very, very rural area and our options are extremely limited. We have to drive an hour just to get the Pedigree large breed.

It really stinks sometimes living in the boonies!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 12:09 PM
ouesi
Life is short, play with your dog!
Wag More. Bark Less.

I bought Paul a beer!

Yup, a dane thing! Our dane is a snorer, moaner, dreams and barks in her sleep - its a wonder she even gets any rest!
As for food, I feel your pain - we too are in the boonies, and I do have some suggestions for you if you are looking to change foods, if not feel free to ignore me
I did find diamond brand dog food hidden among the hunters pride at our local feed 'n seed which was only 20 minutes away. It may be worth doing a little tour of the tractor and feed stores...
Old 08-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Goofy123
Has no status.

My Mood: Cool

I wish Goofy was a noisy one sometimes. He's quiet lol. Hopefully your pup will grow out of it so your wife can get some sleep!

You always have the option of buying your kibble online. TOTW is a great grain free kibble and if you buy it online it cost around $55.
Just an idea if money isn't an issue!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Mom2Dori
could not love her Danes more!
Executive Member

I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Fine

k9cuisine.com has some great choices (and prices/special offers)! They ship directly to you, so that's another option!

Most likely growing pains...does she have bedding?

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii32/LMRachko/IMG_0229.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 PM
GreatDaneMom
Has no status.

Content puppy moans and groans.......in my experience, this is totally normal when sleeping. Most, if not all, of my pups have done this.........and sometimes they continue to do it into adulthood. Re. the food.......we also live in a very rural area and found that the feedstore 45 min. from us would order the food that we wanted and keep it in stock. Got any pictures of that new little cutie???
Old 08-05-2009, 02:54 PM
jjphoto
Has no status.
Threadstarter

I'll check out the online food stores... I figured shipping would be outrageous on dog food. I hadn't thought about checking with a local store to see if they'd special order and keep it in stock. Worth looking into. I had seen some posts about TOTW, but it sounded like diarrhea city.

And to answer the question, yes she has bedding in her crate. She's got a plethora of old towels, my undershirt, and a couple toys. If she keeps groaning, I'm afraid my wife is going to want to move her into another room which I would hate!

Here are some pics as requested!

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 02:58 PM
faust
is watching tired puppies sleep
Executive Member

I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Angelic
+++ My dogs +++
Send a message via AIM to faust Send a message via MSN to faust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
I had seen some posts about TOTW, but it sounded like diarrhea city.
Not sure where you got that information but it is far from correct. The Pacific Stream formula has actually helped a lot of dogs out of just that issue with other foods and many dogs do very well on the other formulas as well. Like any dog food out there, there is not one that works for all dogs and it is about finding one food that works for your specific dog, your budget and your location. There are actually many members here who feed ToTW and have had really great results with it.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:01 PM
jjphoto
Has no status.
Threadstarter

I read it on a thread here... someone said they had fed TOTW and came home to poop all over the entire house, furniture, etc. I read that and moved right along. Guess I quit reading too fast.
Reply With Quote top