DOL Great Dane Forum  

Go Back   DOL Great Dane Forum > Great Danes Forums > Diet (Kibble only) Forum

DOL Home Photos Show Danes Conformation Height & Weight Vet Terms DOL Facebook In Memory

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Brindledanelove
Has no status.

My Mood: Sad
+++ My dogs +++
Default No interest in food... picky eater? (long)

Hey all~
I dont post often, Im more of a lurker and chatter~ but I have been struggeling with keeping wt on Sway since the day I brought her home at 12wks or so. She came from the breeder on Raw. We kept it up for a while (5/6 months or so), but she soon lost interest in it, stopped eating the bone and then just quit eating it all together (all the while struggeling to keep wt on her) She was a bab of bones... ribs, spine and hips! We blamed the not eating bones on her teething so we busted the bone up~ didnt make a difference, she still wouldnt eat it. So we decided to switch to kibble. We put her on Eagle Pack, she hoovered the first few days worth of meals and then would go a day or so without eating, then quit eating it all together as well. So after a while of dealing with that we switched to TOTW. She did awesome on it. She loved it. So we have been on it for 5ish months and still has bouts where she wont eat for a day or so.... ( tough love here, if she doesnt eat her meal when i put it down, it sits for 15 min then gets picked up and doesnt get put down till the next morning~ she eats twice a day. When she first started refusing meals I started adding 1/3 can of the canned totw to each meal... hoovered it for a wile and then would refuse meals... so all of this makes me think that she is getting bored with her food. So we started switching varieties between the totw. Again, doing well for a while but then by the end of the bag, goes back to her picky stubborn ways. I dont want to keep catering to her! I want her to eat and KEEP WT ON! She eats around 6 cups a day split between morning and night. She barley finishes what I give her, so adding more would be pointless. And she shows no interest in it what so ever~ all my other dogs are bouncing around at meal time.. barkign and carying on.. not Sway. She absolutely could care less.. lazy in the living room... I have to call her to her kennel sometimes even lead her by the collar in there... (not a kennel issue~ she loves her kennel) She acts the same way with treats... no interest.. she is not food motivated at all.

We show her, but after the many many comments this past wknd at a show.. regarding her wt.. we decided to take a hiatus untill we get her where we need her to be. No sense in throwing all our money into hotels, gas and entry fees if her wt is goin to keep her from placing.... She is 12 months old right now, and has not gone into heat yet (tho several of her litter mates have, so it should be soon) But im hopeing that, that will help her to fill out.

Sorry, Im writing as things are coming to me~ so bare with me as its a little choppy. When we got Sway the breeder told me that both parents are picky eaters and she struggles with their wt~ (should have been a red flag, but heinz sights 20X20) She wanted me to keep Sway on Raw, and when I told her I was planning on switching her over and asked for kibble suggestions she told me " I dont know what to tell you, as I am gun shy with Kibble".... so not a lot of help there. Had I not found dol my dogs would all still be on Science Diet~ The other day I had some chicken hind quarters int he freezer that got freezer burnt, so I thawed them and tossed them out to the dogs.... She showd mild interest in it, but it took her forever to eat it... but she did manage to get it down.. but you could tell she wasnt thrilled.... so needless to say going back to raw is out of the question.

Vet visit ruled out parasites and such, and there is nothing medical to say why she cant keep wt on. Maybe she needs more calories? Maybe ist time for another food switch?~ I like the idea of grain free, but if grain inclusive will keep her filled out I may head that direction.

*sigh* help please
Im sure I forgot a ton of info, so just ask away! Thanks a million!

Sway 4/21/10 - 11/26/13
"Our hearts still ache in sadness, And secret tears still flow, What it meant to lose you, No one will ever know."
Reply With Quote top

3 Latest Threads by Brindledanelove
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Serenity Topics Specific To Breeds Other Than Danes Forum NMDane 8 9 04-08-2014 07:13 PM
Horrible Temperaments Rant Miscellaneous Forum tarheelchick 6 7 03-03-2014 07:34 AM
Red alert for iowa fanciers: Iowa breeder bill IA Brindledanelove 2 114 02-23-2014 12:46 PM

Old 05-17-2011, 10:58 AM
audreys
639-850 muscles and everyone hurts

I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Pensive

Could be a few things
She could be coming into heat
She could be allergic to the food.
She could be ending a growth spurt
She could be picky
I would start by cutting down on the food if she does not eat what you gave her.
If that doesn't work. I would suspect allergies.
You may also want to try satin balls, if she is old enough.
Reply With Quote top
The Following User Says Thank You to audreys For This Useful Post:
Brindledanelove (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Loki Love
takes it one day at a time.
Live Love Bark

Loki became a Champion :

I have lived what you are living with Sway. Loki is fussy.. picky.. diva.. you name it. We struggle to keep weight on him all the time. We did as you did - switched kibbles around, trying to find that 'magic' one that he'd love for the rest of his days. No luck. We added canned tripe, canned food, sardines, eggs, cheese, baby food.. that worked for a while until he remembered he was supposd to be a diva and stopped eating consistently again

We made the switch to raw back in December. It went SO well in the beginning, but it's been a struggle the last couple of months. He was gaining weight.. and we are back down in weight again because he has days he won't eat at all. I still think he does better on raw than he ever did on kibble which is why we are sticking it out (our latest discovery is that he will eat with gusto if we feed him once a day, later at night - around 9pm - I only expect this to last a week or so of course )

Ironically enough, Loki is also a show dog and I doubt he'll be shown at all this year given his ribby look

All that to say - I sympathize. I wish I had advice, but I have a feeling we'll always struggle with Loki's eating habits and it's one of those things I'm going to have to learn to embrace
Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Brindledanelove
Has no status.
Threadstarter

+++ My dogs +++

Yep thats Sway 100% Just when I think I have found something that works she goes right back!
Quote:
All that to say - I sympathize. I wish I had advice, but I have a feeling we'll always struggle with Loki's eating habits and it's one of those things I'm going to have to learn to embrace
The thing that really worries me, is that both of her parents were/are the same way.. they are raw fed as well.

Sway 4/21/10 - 11/26/13
"Our hearts still ache in sadness, And secret tears still flow, What it meant to lose you, No one will ever know."
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Bev_K
Has no status.
Executive Member
I bought Paul a beer!

Hailey, I feel for you. I struggled & struggled with Skyy's weight when she was younger. It does get better as they mature, although the heat cycles can still throw a curve ball at you.

I might try cutting back a little on the amount and maybe adding some Dyne High Calorie Supplement (Theisen’s carries it) to offset the lost calories. Really, it’s some trial and error to find what works for Sway…but the whole time it’s also a balance of not catering to her too much.

Wish there was an easier solution! Tough love has worked well, but there were times when I about couldn’t do it. Seemed to never fail…as soon as Skyy would start filling out, she would go on a hunger strike.

Satin balls might help maintain weight, although they won’t help cure the picky-eater part.

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
Reply With Quote top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bev_K For This Useful Post:
Brindledanelove (05-17-2011), Loki Love (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 02:11 PM
danelover1
Has no status.

God, I feel for you as I have a 6 1/2 year old who is the same way. It took me a while to figure out that he doesn't like eating in the morning at all no matter what wonderful things I add in. So he gets lunch after 2 p.m ( if he is in the mood otherwise it will be later ) and before he goes to sleep at 9:30 p.m . He is a very active dog so it shows when he doesn't eat a day or two so I understand your frustration especially when you can't show .
I do hope you find what works for you guys
Reply With Quote top
The Following User Says Thank You to danelover1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2011, 03:11 PM
lwrees72
Handing out BGP's like candy!!!
Captain BGP

I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Cynical

Unless she has changed significantly from your signature photo, I would say she looks just fine. Keep practicing tough love. A healthy dog will eat and will not starve itself. A week before shows give satin balls if needed. Also, remember many handlers equate weight to substance. If your bitch is overweight, especially with a brindle or a harl you are going to just get extra body roll.

Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
www.lokenigreatdanes.com
Reply With Quote top
The Following User Says Thank You to lwrees72 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Purple Raine
Is feeling better than she has in a long time.

My Mood: Buzzed

Wish I had some advice for you but it really is trial and error.. My Bambi is 2 1/2 yrs old now and I am still struggling to keep weight on her... Currently she is looking a little portly, for once.. But only weighs in at approx. 120ish pounds (haven't weighed her recently) and is 32" at withers.. However, her usual weight fluxes between 105 and 115 ( most times its closer to 105 at which time she almost always looks Anorexic.) but as long as all her physical exams keep coming back clear, I guess there is really not much I can do... My vet does not seem concerned, just states to the fact that she appears to have a high metabolism and to just make sure I'm keeping up with the calories and to feed when she seems hungry...

Last edited by Purple Raine; 05-18-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Raine For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 PM
jazzybinks
Has no status.

My Mood: Tired
Send a message via Yahoo to jazzybinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brindledanelove View Post
Hey all~
I dont post often, Im more of a lurker and chatter~ but I have been struggeling with keeping wt on Sway since the day I brought her home at 12wks or so. She came from the breeder on Raw. We kept it up for a while (5/6 months or so), but she soon lost interest in it, stopped eating the bone and then just quit eating it all together (all the while struggeling to keep wt on her) She was a bab of bones... ribs, spine and hips! We blamed the not eating bones on her teething so we busted the bone up~ didnt make a difference, she still wouldnt eat it. So we decided to switch to kibble. We put her on Eagle Pack, she hoovered the first few days worth of meals and then would go a day or so without eating, then quit eating it all together as well. So after a while of dealing with that we switched to TOTW. She did awesome on it. She loved it. So we have been on it for 5ish months and still has bouts where she wont eat for a day or so.... ( tough love here, if she doesnt eat her meal when i put it down, it sits for 15 min then gets picked up and doesnt get put down till the next morning~ she eats twice a day. When she first started refusing meals I started adding 1/3 can of the canned totw to each meal... hoovered it for a wile and then would refuse meals... so all of this makes me think that she is getting bored with her food. So we started switching varieties between the totw. Again, doing well for a while but then by the end of the bag, goes back to her picky stubborn ways. I dont want to keep catering to her! I want her to eat and KEEP WT ON! She eats around 6 cups a day split between morning and night. She barley finishes what I give her, so adding more would be pointless. And she shows no interest in it what so ever~ all my other dogs are bouncing around at meal time.. barkign and carying on.. not Sway. She absolutely could care less.. lazy in the living room... I have to call her to her kennel sometimes even lead her by the collar in there... (not a kennel issue~ she loves her kennel) She acts the same way with treats... no interest.. she is not food motivated at all.

We show her, but after the many many comments this past wknd at a show.. regarding her wt.. we decided to take a hiatus untill we get her where we need her to be. No sense in throwing all our money into hotels, gas and entry fees if her wt is goin to keep her from placing.... She is 12 months old right now, and has not gone into heat yet (tho several of her litter mates have, so it should be soon) But im hopeing that, that will help her to fill out.

Sorry, Im writing as things are coming to me~ so bare with me as its a little choppy. When we got Sway the breeder told me that both parents are picky eaters and she struggles with their wt~ (should have been a red flag, but heinz sights 20X20) She wanted me to keep Sway on Raw, and when I told her I was planning on switching her over and asked for kibble suggestions she told me " I dont know what to tell you, as I am gun shy with Kibble".... so not a lot of help there. Had I not found dol my dogs would all still be on Science Diet~ The other day I had some chicken hind quarters int he freezer that got freezer burnt, so I thawed them and tossed them out to the dogs.... She showd mild interest in it, but it took her forever to eat it... but she did manage to get it down.. but you could tell she wasnt thrilled.... so needless to say going back to raw is out of the question.

Vet visit ruled out parasites and such, and there is nothing medical to say why she cant keep wt on. Maybe she needs more calories? Maybe ist time for another food switch?~ I like the idea of grain free, but if grain inclusive will keep her filled out I may head that direction.

*sigh* help please
Im sure I forgot a ton of info, so just ask away! Thanks a million!

I can definitely sympathize as well. It has been a tremendous struggle keeping weight on Jazz his entire life. He peaked at 128 pounds about 4 months ago, but right now is holding steady at around 117lbs and he is roughly 35"-36" at the withers, so you can imagine how lanky he looks.. His is due though, because of Addison's Disease. What I have found food wise though is that any grain free diet made it very very difficult for him to gain weight on. We've recently put him on Innova Large Breed Adult which is grain inclusive, but still regarded as a very high quality product. And he has begun to fill out a little more. So I'm hopeful that it will continue.

I also know, that many people on here who feed Taste of the Wild, (not all) claim to have issues keeping weight on with that food. I don't know what it is about it but from what I've seen on here, it's not uncommon.

Around 12 months is also when Jazz hit another growth spurt and his eating habits changed up a bit too. He was on raw at the time as well, stayed on raw for about 4 months and numerous reasons, had us switch him back to kibble.

I know I'm not much help, or saying anything that no one else hasn't said already but, you're not alone :/.

I would though, suggest going to a grain inclusive food. Something like Innova, Wellness or Merrick even.

Jazz- my sweet sweet boy
Diagnosed with Addison's Disease October 20, 2010. (2 years old)
R.I.P. December 21, 2012
Age 4.

Last edited by jazzybinks; 05-17-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzybinks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Brindledanelove
Has no status.
Threadstarter

+++ My dogs +++

Quote:
Unless she has changed significantly from your signature photo, I would say she looks just fine. Keep practicing tough love. A healthy dog will eat and will not starve itself. A week before shows give satin balls if needed. Also, remember many handlers equate weight to substance. If your bitch is overweight, especially with a brindle or a harl you are going to just get extra body roll.
Unfortunately she has dropped in wt since then... you can def. see her spine and her hip bones are protruding.. as far as ribs, its hard to tell most of the time with her brindeling unless the angle or light is just right. She doenst look malnurished.. just under weight. In pictures she doesnt look to bad, but in person its easier to see. And when people at shows are continualy asking what food she is on and that she could stand a few extra pounds.. it gets old. I know Sway will never be a 'huge' dane with tons of bone and substance but she can def. use a few more pounds and I know what you are talking about with the brindle/harl roll Is she old enough for the satin balls? I have a recipe for it and am willing to give it a go!
Quote:
I also know, that many people on here who feed Taste of the Wild, (not all) claim to have issues keeping weight on with that food. I don't know what it is about it but from what I've seen on here, it's not uncommon
I have considered this as well! I have since been considering a grain inclusive food. I have had a lot of people suggest Diamond Naturals? as a good choice for wt gain/maintnence. It can be discouraging at times. I dont want to take a break from showing, but when she drops wt or stops eating i stress about it and she picks up on that and then it just gets worse. *sigh*

Anyways, thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement! Its comforting/encouraging to know that others have been there or are there right now...

Sway 4/21/10 - 11/26/13
Reply With Quote top