DOL Great Dane Forum  

Go Back   DOL Great Dane Forum > Great Danes Forums > General Breed Information Only Forum

DOL Home Photos Show Danes Conformation Height & Weight Vet Terms DOL Facebook DOL Facebook Group In Memory

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 10:34 AM
fireflyfarm
I love my big oaf!

My Mood: Cynical
Default Male vs. Female

Hi all. My wife and I are planning on buying a Dane puppy. We are leaning toward a female with no real solid reason. We do not plan on breeding. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to either sex? More than likely either would be spayed/neutered. We do realize males are typically larger, but that's not a problem. We are looking for health and temperament differences. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Severn & Stephanie
Reply With Quote top

3 Latest Threads by fireflyfarm
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Agility Training and behavior Forum Shamu 1 153 04-12-2013 11:10 AM
Please vote.... Miscellaneous Forum fireflyfarm 6 354 03-19-2013 01:03 PM
When do they stop growing? General Breed Information Only Forum Ellie&Moose 7 716 02-20-2013 04:57 AM

Old 12-14-2011, 10:59 AM
katie1254
Has no status.

Happy Birthday Dually!!
+++ My dogs +++

I have only owned males. I personally will only own males. From what I have heard females can be "bitchy", not all, but can be. I also like being the only female in the house. There is no other estrogen to compete with LOL. Thats just my 2 cents, hope it helps

Beacon 5-7-13
Dually RIP 4-15-09 to 4-16-13
Diesel RIP 3-19-06 to 7-3-11
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Angel7292
Has no status.
Executive Member

We've owned many many dogs in the past and my best behaved, easiest trained and all around good dogs have all been males. This is of course a personal choice with no real reason other than what I personally like. I won't own a female again. Each and every female we have had (and still have 1) has always been a PITA in comparison to my males.
bringmetoast
is feeling less than adequate :/

My Mood: Stressed
+++ My dogs +++

I really think it just depends on the dog. I have two females. One is crazy. The other is calm 99% of the time and does NOT bark. That's right, she doesn't bark.

We had originally planned to get a male first but it just didn't work out that way. My next dane will be a male, just because I haven't had one and I usually like to have both sexes, but I don't have any set precognitions of his personality.

Oh, also eta: I agree that you NEED to spay and neuter because angeldane is right, you'll be dealing with potential nightmares if you don't. And also both my girls are SUPER SUPER cuddley. Nova wasn't as much when she was younger but now we HAVE to cuddle every night on the couch. She has to have her head on my lap or she's not happy, lol.

*bethany*
Nova - 3 yr old Great Dane
Pepper - 9 yr old Chihuahua
Mable - 4 yr old Great Dane Rescue

Last edited by bringmetoast; 12-14-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Lady1815
Has no status.

My Mood: Cool

I grew up with only having male dogs. Right now we have a male and female, she is my second female dog ever. Both of the females I've owned have been iffy with other dogs, ESPECIALLY other females. The boys have been more easy going (as far as dog/dog interaction). Now all these we got as adults so it may have been different to have them puppy up.

If I were just starting out with dogs I would find a great reputable breeder and have them pick the one that was the temperment and best match for our family. When we got Max there was a female puppy there that was just the sweetest thing... but our adult female just doesn't mesh will with other females.

Duramax Born 7-25-2011
My Gooner
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 AM
angeldane
Has no status.
Very committed

I bought Paul a beer!

IMO males are more laid back attitude wise. Not as observant, often time more cuddly.
Girls appear smarter to me, they are more protective, but not in an aggressive way more observant of changes. Many times very
Quick on picking up on training.
Both can go either way. Both can be great with kids.

I'm only taking animals that are fixed.
An intact male can be a monster, while intact females may show moderate same sex aggression.
males seem much more effected by horomones and I would advise neutering or spaying around 8-10 months.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 AM
DANEger
wishes all of DOL HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Fine

Cleo is my first female dog ever (I've had one dane prior to her). She is QUITE the velcro dog and I am her world (which is just fine be me!). I've heard females are less snuggly, but her favorite place is cuddling w/me on the couch or bed. She's sweet, silly, SASSY at times. She is more protective of me than other dogs I've had....she's slow to let new people in, but once she approves....she APPROVES with leans and slobbers!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 AM
audreys
639-850 muscles and every one hurts

I bought Paul a beer!

My Mood: Pensive

I have both male and female. I have had 3 females and 4 males.
They have similar traits but they are different from each other even within the same sex. I agree, it does depend on the dog.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 AM
saharadane
Has no status.

I have owned many females and males. None of the females were "bitches". Sweet, loving and loyal. Males are very sweet. I have seen wild examples of both sexes.

I currently have 4 females and one male. I love them all. One of the girls is so sweet and cuddly. She melts in your arms. I just want to squeeze her.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 AM
myboy
says "be calm and carry on"

My Mood: Cheeky

I personally have always owned and preferred males as my own pets. My DH always females. I do find June to be bitchy, with other (mostly) female dogs. Mabel is just Mabel being a female is her only saving grace, if she were a male she would be king wussy boy.

Myboy RIP at 2 1/2 product of BYB
Reply With Quote top